lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
skidboot77
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse Switch

I have 2001 with the reverse lever below the seat. Its not easy to switch into reverse. Is it complicated (expensive) to put in a reverse switch on the dash?
skidboot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse Switch

Welcome to BGW!

Sounds like you have a series wound motor and the total motor current passes through the F/R switch contacts, so about the only way to move the F/R control to the dash is to replace the mechanical high current switch with high-current relays (aka contactors and solenoids) that are controlled by a low current switch on the dash.

It has been done before and there are schematics floating around here someplace, I just don't know where they are.

Hopefully someone that knows how to do it will be along shortly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A liberal dousing of WD-40 will usually free them up. Don't forget the linkage pivots...
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
skidboot77
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will oil it up
skidboot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:

Sounds like you have a series wound motor and the total motor current passes through the F/R switch contacts, so about the only way to move the F/R control to the dash is to replace the mechanical high current switch with high-current relays (aka contactors and solenoids) that are controlled by a low current switch on the dash.

It has been done before and there are schematics floating around here someplace, I just don't know where they are.
I did this with my CC rewire, changing from the 5-solenoid and resistor system to a Curtis 1205 controller. The manual for the controller is on Curtis' site, and has a bunch of different schematics for both control and the power side of things. Those reversing solenoids are fairly pricey, but I used one from an electric pallet jack and a 15 Ohm 25-watt resistor. The resistor is in series with the common wire on the contactor's coils, because the coils are rated at 24 volts (typical for a pallet jack), and my cart is 36 volts. The resistor came from Amazon and cost less than $4.00.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO