lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
ken deg
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 EzGo Txt has no power

I have a friend that is selling his golf cart. I ma interested in buying. The only issue is the cart starts fine and will move but not very fast and will not pull itself up a grade or if it is loaded with three or four people. It looks like the back clutch is fairly new???. Any ideas? Should I look at the front clutch?
ken deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 96 EzGo Txt has no power

Is the engine slowing down or just the speed of the cart ? If the engine is still revving the belt may be slipping in the clutches. If it is bogging down it could just be the valves need to be adjusted. A compression check would tell more.. Also, it all depends on the price.. If cheap enough, it can be fixed..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Key off push accel pedal to the floor and make sure the throttle is opening all the way, on the carb. If you can push the butterfly more, with your finger, then you need to adjust cable
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
ken deg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Is the engine slowing down or just the speed of the cart ? If the engine is still revving the belt may be slipping in the clutches. If it is bogging down it could just be the valves need to be adjusted. A compression check would tell more.. Also, it all depends on the price.. If cheap enough, it can be fixed..
The engine is revving up fine, the cart just doesn't hardly move or won't move going up any kind of grade. How to check or adjust the clutches?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

so the engine rev's up, and the cart is going slowly. Normally that's what it's supposed to do when it carrying a heavy load up a hill but if you're complaining about it I'm assuming it's going much slower then you feel it should be. It's hard to tell what's wrong without hearing it or driving it myself up a hill. So far in this thread you've been given the right advice.

Another thing to check, if you're going to get into the "clutches".
If you have any doubts about how old and/or worn the front clutch is, before you buy a new one check it first.

The black cover comes off to expose the internals of the clutch by removing the 6 3/8" bolts. (10mm will strip them)
Make sure the three "fingers" (that's what I call them) are not seized and move freely. Make sure everything is clean inside there, moving freely and sliding without sticking or hanging up anywhere. Feel the groove where the belt rides, it should be nice and smooth and uniform. If there is a big dimple toward the center shaft, it's getting to that point of being worn out.

Make sure the big spring is not broken and the small tabs can lock into the tiny holes on either side.

All cleaned up and everything moving correctly, re-assemble it. If you want a bit of extra torque for hills, you'll notice you'll need to turn the outter clutch cover counterclockwise to line up the bolt holes. Do that, only turn it counterclockwise so that one set of two bolt holes lines up with the two to the left. One more position counterclockwise and this will give you more pulling power for hauling 3-4 people up steep hills.
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
ken deg
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: 96 EzGo Txt has no power

Ok, Latest update on power issue. I bought cart today and brought it home. What I am seeing is the driven clutch in the back is not moving in and out like it should. Drive clutch appears to be working fine. So, do you all think I should pull the driven clutch off and disassemble it or buy a new one? The videos I have seen appear that there is not much to them.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They are not difficult at all to take apart and rebuild. A new clutch is a couple hundred bucks. If you decide to buy a new one, get the 28 degree instead of the stock 36 degree, it's a huge difference in pulling power. Accompany it with the torque spring and the power is just unreal. If you're doing any hunting, you will be happy you spent the money the first time you're on a steep hill and need to creep over something like a log or stone wall.

If that's not enough, turn the drive clutch one position counterclock wise, that will give u more torque as well
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
ken deg
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 96 EzGo Txt has no power

I am going to get a 28 degree clutch. Will I give up alot of top end by doing that? Any recommendations on best place to buy new clutch?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got mine directly from EZGO but that's cause the place I work leases 70 carts from them and I got it dirt cheap. I didn't lose any top end when I changed to a 28 degree.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken deg View Post
I am going to get a 28 degree clutch. Will I give up a lot of top end by doing that? Any recommendations on best place to buy new clutch?

Call Tom at CPP, he can help you on the clutch, and they are a sponsor here

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/

and I'm sure there is some more sponsors here that may be able to help you

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO