lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
mrgreenheads
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 Gas Ezgo

Hey guys I have aquired a 88 gas Marathon with metal bodies and also a have a 96 TXT

Here is my question:

1. Has any one done a swap from 88 into 96 frame before
2. Is it even possible
3. Should I even consider it

Any help would be appreciated in advance
mrgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Gas Ezgo

The main problem is that the 88 clutch (drive) rund perpendicular to the cart, whereas the TXT DRIVEN clutch runs parallel - pretty substantial hurdle to overcome ...

NOW - another option (which is the one I personally took) would be to graft the front cowl, springs, etc from the TXT onto the 88 - You'll get the bulk of the TXT look (the front end), lengthen your wheelbase in front about 2" for stability, and a stock 88 in good running condition will literally run CIRCLES around even a modified TXT (88 was the year of the "High Output" 244cc 2PG, 11hp as versus 9 for the standard 2-stroke EZGO's of that era plus FAR more torque). Here's a pic of what you'll end up with:

20121117_120002.jpg.jpg

If you throw a cargo box, basket, or rear seats on there you'll have to look REAL close to tell that it's not a TXT, also even without adding anything the Marathon body gives it a pretty hefty "square-shouldered" look, which at least in MY opinion is pretty Bad A$$ ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
mrgreenheads
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
The main problem is that the 88 clutch (drive) rund perpendicular to the cart, whereas the TXT DRIVEN clutch runs parallel - pretty substantial hurdle to overcome ...

NOW - another option (which is the one I personally took) would be to graft the front cowl, springs, etc from the TXT onto the 88 - You'll get the bulk of the TXT look (the front end), lengthen your wheelbase in front about 2" for stability, and a stock 88 in good running condition will literally run CIRCLES around even a modified TXT (88 was the year of the "High Output" 244cc 2PG, 11hp as versus 9 for the standard 2-stroke EZGO's of that era plus FAR more torque). Here's a pic of what you'll end up with:

Attachment 80420

If you throw a cargo box, basket, or rear seats on there you'll have to look REAL close to tell that it's not a TXT, also even without adding anything the Marathon body gives it a pretty hefty "square-shouldered" look, which at least in MY opinion is pretty Bad A$$ ...
The TXT that I have is electric so it does not have a cluch system ... So what Iwas wondering is can the entire drive system motor and rear end with clutches from the 88 be placed in the TXT frame as its in better physical shape than the Marathon
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Might want to ask over in the Electric EZGO threads, there are likely more people over there that can help, most of us here are into gas carts
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
mrgreenheads
Not Yet Wild

Understand that ... I want to change it to gas is why I am asking if anyone has done this type mod

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
mrgreenheads
Not Yet Wild

bump for the MOD Guru's
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO