lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
D2footballjrc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default JR's 1990 EZGO Marathon Build.

Well I recently purchased a 1990 2-Stroke EZGO Marathon for $500. I have quite a few modifications to do to it and thought I'd start a little journal. I am doing all the work myself which will be interesting.

Here are starter pictures of the cart. It runs fairly okay and I used it for a couple rounds of golf already as I live a block from the local golf course that I'm a member of.

(Please ignore my messy garage! We just bought the house and I remodeled the kitchen and there are some old appliances in the background!)

I think I did pretty good for $500.

Here are the modifications planned:

I have a tune up kit (ordered). (New Spark Plugs, Air Filter, Oil Filter, and Gas Filter.)
Rebuild Kit (ordered)- New head, piston, rings, and gaskets.
New Tires and Rims (Maybe just hubcap covers at first, I have to see what the rules are on tire size and type from the golf course.)
We are going to sand it down and paint it (ordered). I have decided on Allis Chalmers Orange.
New Seat (ordered), going to have the wife sew a black and orange seat cover.
Bedliner (ordered) the roof to get it a nice black color.
New windshield (ordered).
Bedliner (ordered) the floorboard area.
Refresh and replace the plastic guard pieces on the cart (Ordered) .

Then down the line:
Adding head lights and tail lights.
New dashboard
Install a fan/blower on the top of the cart for the hot summer days.

So far I got the cart for $500, and with the parts and paint already ordered I'm into the cart for a total just under $1000. Not to shabby if I can pull it off right. I will still have to buy lights, dashboard, and fan/blower at a later date. Don't want to bite off more then I can chew to start off with.
D2footballjrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: JR's 1990 EZGO Marathon Build.

Good Find, Let the fun begin
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
D2footballjrc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Having to touch up the trim a bit, and put on the tinted windshield. I have 10" tires and rims coming. Top Engine kit is here, just waiting for a mechanic friend of mine to put it on.

It came out better than I expected. I really like the black top.

The seats I actually ended up covering myself with some fabric I purchased.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
D2footballjrc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got the new top end engine kit installed..

Couple key things.. don't drop a bolt down the clutch fan. Took us forever to get that bugger out of there.

I am glad I replaced the top end engine kit. The piston and rings were shot. The piston was scorched on the sides where the rings were giving out. No wonder the smoking was getting worse, glad I stopped driving it! I'll post pictures later.

Also got some brushes and cleaned up the trim paint. I ended up getting shipped the wrong window and they sent a clear one, I'm having to wait for the tinted window to come.

New tires should be here in the next couple days! Looking forward to that. I didn't even tape up or cover the old ones, they were getting pretty bald when I was painting. Went with 10" Super Turf tires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO