lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 engine rotation

A while ago I purchased a non running G1 and have finally come up with the parts to put it back together until it gets the diesel conversion this winter. Having not seen it run I'm wondering what the engine rotation is on the flywheel end. When I turn the engine over in a clock wise rotation the timing marks line up with the piston at .050 before tdc. The problem is with the key turned to the right and pushing the pedal the engine wants to turn counter clockwise and it kicks back something terrible. If the engine is rotated that direction until it is .050 before tdc the timing marks are way off and can't be adjusted back to specs.
The wiring in the engine bay appears to be correct so I'm wonder if there is a problem under the dash or if the engine is turning the right direction and I have the wrong flywheel.
Thanks for your help.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 engine rotation

When facing the drive clutch, the motor turns CCW for forward, and CW for reverse. The motor actually runs bacwards to make the cart go backwards.
When the key is to the right, the motor should turn CW when viewed from the flywheel side. It sounds like someone switched the coil wires going to the solenoid. The polarity of the ignition is switched by the keyswitch. That's how the timing is set for forward or reverse. Try swapping the blue wire and the yellow wire at the solenoids.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is exactly What I was leaning toward so I'm guessing the wires are switched under the dash as they do match the diagram under the hood. I'll give it a try and get back to you.
Thanks a million for your advice.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Much easier to just swap them at the solenoids. The other possibility is that the pulsar wires are reversed. White/Red and White/Green coming from the magneto. Not likely though.

BTW... You will lose reverse if you install a 4-stroke motor.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your advise was spot on. Swapped the yellow and blue, squirted some gas in the carb and it was running. Thank you very much for your quick response.
I have access to several older Polaris 4 wheelers that use the same pulley system as these golf carts. The transmission is small and separate from the engine. This will give me forward and reverse along with Hi and Lo speed ranges. Just doing a quick lay out it looks like every thing should fit nicely as I will have more room than on the 4 wheeler.
Thanks again for your help it is really appreciated!
P.S.
I'm hoping for 40 mph and 100 mpg. We can license these for road use in SD.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Great to hear. Have fun with it.

I can tell you that you will get excellent mileage if you keep it stock. If you want 40mph, it will drink gas. My old G1 would do at least that and it had an appetite for fuel.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
badbowtie
Getting Wild

I'm not sure on the rotation question but I sure would love to know more about the diesel conversion
Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The plan is to use a 13hp 2 cylinder Yanmar. This will drive a Polaris ATV gearbox which in turn will drive the differential. I haven't checked the rotation of the gearbox yet so nothing is set in stone. I completed 2 garden tractor conversions this winter and have done six total so I'm looking for something different to do this winter. Want to run the cart stock this summer to make sure everything working OK first.
Will try and do a photo essay as I go along. Might turn into a real circus
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha