lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

Default advice needed on 94 Marathon

I have the opportunity to buy a 94 Marathon for $200 with a bad motor. My question is is it worth it. I know what it costs to rebuild motor but what's an average price for a motorswap with a Honda clone engine. I'm trying to see if I'd come out ahead or if I'd been in too deep. I'm not one to buy and resale stuff but I don't make habits of buying things I'm not going to get what I paid for or at least very close to it.
aero_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: advice needed on 94 Marathon

Would you be doing any fabrication needed for the install? Also, instead of a Chinese engine you can often find snowmobiles on the cheap and swap that engine in. Only problem is that you might end up with a pull start and no reverse but if you want to spend a few bucks more you can find them with electric start and reverse. Shouldn't be more than $500 for a sled with a decent engine and electric start and you'll have pretty much everything you need between the two vehicles to get it done. If you can settle for a rope start you might pick one up for free. I got my Polaris 440 sport out of a barn for free. The guy wrecked it(mildly) and was sick of looking at it. Flushed the tank, cleaned the carb and it runs like a raped ape. Only 360 miles on it too.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

Well the 94 is a 4 stroke with the Robin 295cc. So shouldn't it have the reverse rear end, which would make a motor swap a lot easier. Fabbing isn't an issue for the most part. I have basic welding and fabricating skills.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
aero_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Oh ok, sorry, I'm used to my two stroke. You should be good to go. Even if you have to settle for a rope start you still have reverse. Long as the rest of the cart is in good shape you can pick up an old sled for maybe $200 at the most. Like I said, you might get lucky and find one for free, just make sure it has good compression and you're halfway there. If I had the chance I'd jump on it. Keep in mind, most of your sled engines are going to put out 2-3 times the grunt of the stock engine. Make sure your brakes and steering are up to it. There's also a section in the forums called "big block swaps". They Frankenstein all sorts of engines into carts.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

get the cart and check out site sponsor cart parts plus for about 500 you could get the cradle , clutch adaptor , and then pickup a honda or honda clone and with a little fab you'll be 700-800 total into a cart with double the stock cars power thats worth 1500-2000 , dont wait to grab it though it will be gone. better yet would be to pull the engine replace whats broken or locked up and only put 300-500 into it and then you have a nice stock cart
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
natew121
Gone Wild

Buy it ! Good investment depending on the condition of the rust/ body
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Slamminsam
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i paid more than that for mine. it had a dead engine and was an abused golf course utility cart. but i wanted one with a bed. its a 94 marathon. i have an old JD 340 sno mo motor if interested, but i went with the oil burner crowd....
I think its worth it if youre going to build it to run. one day ill finish mine.
Slamminsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO