lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Electrical Burning smell

So I have changed almost everything out in my golf cart and it ran just fine but now all of a sudden I am getting hot wires and a mild burning smell. I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. So I have replaced my stock motor with an AMD 7126 "Raptor" motor, changed the stock controller with an Alltrax 4865 Controller, Changed the stock solenoid with a 400A solenoid with diode and resister kit, changed the stock F & R switch with a new modified switch made by Scotty B and changed all of my wires out to 0 awg car audio wire. I have checked to make sure that all of my connections are tight and they are free of corrosion. I noticed that the wire going to the A2 terminal on my motor gets extremely hot after about 1 minute of use. I am not sure if I went too big with my upgrades or if I am missing something. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.
Lifted G16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Electrical Burning smell

I am not saying they are bad but I am not a big fan of using audio cables on a cart. Recheck the A2 cable and make sure there is a good connection between the cable and cable ends and of course the cable ends and the terminals.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have been over the connections and they seem fine but it couldn't hurt to check it out again. What cables do you recommend? Also should I increase the cables to 2/0 AWG wire?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The industry accepts 2g welding cable as the standard for 500-700 amp controllers. The raptor is a high speed motor. If you have big tires and hills or heavy loads the motor may be drawing excessive amperage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I do have large tires on it so maybe that is the issue. Not many hills here in Florida and occasionally I have my kids ride but they don't weigh much. So in your opinion scottyb should I try a different motor? I am not sure what I need to do to make this a reliable cart with no issues.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If wires are getting hot and connections are good, they are undersized!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have also seen a "raptor" die with heavy sand use and 25" tires (they were known idiots, i wasnt suprised). Burned-up motor terminals. They were using 4ga excelene cables (high quality cable, but too small for what they were expecting to be able to do). I thought they were going for the "car show criusing", not desert action.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I was working for "trade" 'cause they had no cash, so i built it to do what they "said" they were gonna use it for (looking real good at car shows and stuff, easy use). It eventually got converted from electric to honda V-twin (not too hard on a ezgo, if you have donor parts around..)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_08031115311525490977.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_09101218181642597552.jpg (174.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_08011110481693026536.jpg (223.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

Please ignore the Star in the picture, we dont work on those (i wish, but at least we dont sell 'em anymore). It looks like a car show killer, right? All the other pics i have have too many identifiable logos & stickers. It was sweet by the time the conversion was done. If you look close, its flooboard is just over 2' off the ground. He kept it chained to his garage so it wouldnt get jacked...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Wow that is a bad *** cart!!! I would love to be able to lift mine like that but I am sure it probably costs a small fortune. I just ordered 1/0 AWG excelene cables so I am hoping by going over board it will make a slight difference and get rid of the hot wire issue. I think that I am going to have to end up changing the motor for something that's more durable for trail riding though. It is apparent that I was misguided when I chose this motor. I have not brought it off road since I have changed it out and typically I drive my kids around the neighbor hood with it or when we go camping but I want to be able to take it off road if I wanted to but nothing extreme by any means. What motor would you guys recommend?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha