lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
JACKSDAD
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller swap possible???

Hello,
I am new to the world of carts and my speed controller on my '95 Medalist fried a couple days ago. It has a small 5 wire plug on the controller I have, and a friend gave me an Alltrax DCX600R19. The new controller has a ten wire connection on it. My question is, can it be installed on my cart? If so, what do I do about the plug in? Thank you very much for any help in the right direction.
JACKSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller swap possible???

You have a very nice friend! That's a heck of a controller and expensive also. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with your 95 medalist. Your cart, if still stock, probably has a series type motor and controller. The DCX controllers are sepex. You would have to also get a new motor to run that controller.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
You have a very nice friend! That's a heck of a controller and expensive also. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with your 95 medalist. Your cart, if still stock, probably has a series type motor and controller. The DCX controllers are sepex. You would have to also get a new motor to run that controller.
For starters ... and a new F&R and some wiring. Sell the control to finance the Series controller you need.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
JACKSDAD
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, guys. What would be a good controller to install on a cart that has a stock motor and is used for hunting?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Most of the guys are using package 485 for the Ezgo series TXT off road. The 500a SPM control and 400a superduty solenoid has proven a rugged combination able to deliver plenty of amperage to the stock motor for maximum torque.
You will need to upgrade the F&R switch and upgrade the cable set to 2g to complete the amperage delivery system.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
JACKSDAD
Not Yet Wild

When you speak of the F/R upgrade. What do I need to look for and where can I find these parts? I really thank you for your time and patience. I know about hot rod cars, boats and airplanes, but I am in the dark on golf carts.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

for HD F&R switch Go here >>> http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.php

All the amperage that goes from the battery pack to the motor goes through the controller, solenoid, F&R, and every cable. All of these components need to be upgraded or you will create a bottleneck in the flow which will produce heat & eventual failure.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
JACKSDAD
Not Yet Wild

I failed to mention he gave me the motor that goes with the controller. I fixed my last problem, but now I'm having other issues with this cart. I want to install the Alltrax controller and motor now. I have some hard hills to pull now and the stock cart motor and controller will not even pull the ditch in my front yard. I know I will have to swap a lot of things around to make this new setup run, but I would really like to know what all I have to change so I can get it ready for turkey season in a couple months. As, always, I thank you good folks for any advice, very much.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What make/model SepEx motor did your friend give you along with the DCX600 controller?

Was the SepEx motor he gave you ran with the controller he gave you? (The field map in the controller has to be compatible with the motor or it doesn't work right)

Also, what is your tire height?

Attached is a drawing showing the 10-pin connector needed (with part numbers) and a drawing of a DCX controller installed in a DCS cart, which is what a 1995 Medalist with a SepEx drive system would be. I also attached a drawing of Series drive system, which should be pretty close to the way the cart is now wired.

Not much of the existing control wiring can be used. Key switch wiring is about all I'd try to reuse.

If your high-current cables are 4Ga or thicker (Preferably 2Ga with a 600A controller) and in good condition, the can be reused. You'll only need 10 of the 13 now being used. The heavy cables going S1&S2 on the Series motor will be replaced with new 10Ga cables going to F1&F2 on the SepEx Motor.

You'll have to add a Run/Tow switch. (DPST)

The existing F/R switch assembly cannot be used. Replace it with a DPDT-Center-OFF switch. (Or a SPDT with a Diode - The dash mounted F/R rocker switch from a PDS cart works if a diode is added) Also the F/R switch from a Club Car will work.

Basically, it is doable, but it will take some wiring skills.

Take pictures of everything and post them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX controller connector.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCX in DCS.jpg (268.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series.JPG (55.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
JACKSDAD
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the info Johnnie B. I will get the numbers of the motor. I know his cart is newer and has the push button f/r switch. He bought the motor and controller together to use on his cart, but was able to keep what he already had. I plan to use some left over 0 gauge wire I have from 27 years of car audio hobbying. I shouldn't have any problem wiring it up, I just needed to wiring diagram you posted and a part list of things swap. I am hoping to be able to take what I have and build it up cheaper than buying a newer machine. I feel like the controller and motor being free, is a pretty good start. Thank you so much for your time and information. Once the project kkicks off, I will post before and after pictures. Right now the cart has small, basically stock size tires with some tread. I will put a larger tire setup on it after the conversion.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO