lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
2electrified
Not Yet Wild

Post EZGO portable battery charger - Not turning "ON"

I have a power wise portable charger that was brought in for repair. The reason for the repair was due to the fact this unit was plugged when lightning struck their house. At first the gentleman just brought me the input board (GGGG) and immediately, I noticed the varistor on MOV1 was burnt, so I replaced that one, tested the relay and that passed, the diode was also good. So the gentleman brought the board home and called me saying the unit is still not working, so I asked him to bring me the entire battery charge. So my first test was checking the diodes using multi-meter set to diodes and tested OL in one way, and .433 when I reversed leads, so both diodes are good. I tested the fuse, that came out good as well. I bypassed the relay connecting the COM from the A/C input to the black wire coming off the transformer and when I power on the unit, the unit hums, at this point, I don't have the D/C plugged into anything yet. I did a couple of voltage tests. First I tested the A/C on the secondary windings connecting to the diodes and when the capacitor is connected I get 93VAC and when I disconnect the capacitor and test the secondary windings again my reading is 73VAC. The relay is bypassed at this point.

The boards that are currently in here are 28126-GO 3 (power input) and 28126-GO 1 (control board).

Here are the following voltage readings I took in several different situations:
- Tested DC output with relay bypassed & capacitor disconnected, I get a reading of 40VDC and front of meter on battery charger stays at 0
- Tested DC output with relay bypassed & capacitor connected, I get a reading of 44.7VDC and meter on battery charger stays at 0. Not connected to batteries.
- Tested DC output with 36v batteries connected to DC plug - relay is bypassed and capacitor is connected. I get 45.3VDC and meter on charger reads 2Amps
- Tested DC output with 36v batteries connected to DC plug - relay is bypassed and capacitor is disconnected. I get 42.1VDC and meter on charger reads 1Amps
- Tested DC output with relay plugged in - no hum and DC output reading on plug reads 1.204VDC. Batteries are not connected on this test.
- Tested capacitor voltage - relay bypassed 267VAC
- Tested capacitor voltage - relay not bypassed 0VAC
- Tested the two white wires going to the capacitor - relay is bypassed, capacitor and batteries are not connected. Results 201VAC
- Tested the two white wires going to the capacitor - relay connected, capacitor and batteries are not connected. Results 0VAC

Any test I ran when the relay was bypassed, I would always get the hum sound. When the relay was connected - no hum

When the unit is plugged in its original setting - no hum, battery charger does not turn "ON" when connected to batteries.

I tried changing the board. I tried putting in the 28667-GO1 board where its 2 boards in 1 and I get the same results, the unit does not turn "ON" when connected to the 36VDC batteries. I have three 12VDC batteries wired in series to get the 36VDC.

I didn't try a new capacitor - the new one will be here tomorrow. What could be the problem? bad transformer? secondary windings bad? bad capacitor?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Lisa
2electrified is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humming sound, transformer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO