lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
jbrewster66
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G16E Troubleshooting Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and have what may be a stupid question. I purchased a used Yamaha G16e recently.

It wasn't running when I got it, but I got it going quickly by simply replacing the blade fuse. We rode it around for a day or two and had some fun before tearing it down to make it look better, cause it was rough looking.

I removed all of the batteries and cleaned up some of the cabling. Now that I have put everything back in, the led on the controller (Alltrax) wont come on.

My question is, I get 37ish volts on the cables that go to the controller (neg from battery, pos from solenoid) before connecting them to the controller. After I connect the cables to the controller that voltage goes down to 11.5ish. Is that normal?

Just trying to figure out if i somehow messed up the controller or solenoid when cleaning everything up.

Thanks
jbrewster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16E Troubleshooting Question

No that is not normal. Sounds like you have a very bad connection somewhere that can't pass any current.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
jbrewster66
Not Yet Wild

Can I bypass the solenoid and wire the controller directly to the battery to check the voltage to the controller that way?
Old 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can bypass the solenoid for a quick test. Do NOT leave it that way though because the solenoid is a major safety item that will stop your cart if the controller decides to go full on.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
jbrewster66
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I tried bypassing the solenoid and now get 37v to the controller coming straight from the batteries, but it still isn't coming on. Or at least the LED on the controller doesn't come on.

Not sure what to do next really. I find it odd that the controller would suddenly be bad, it has just been sitting for a week while we painted the body. My guess is a connection or cable has been messed up in the process of me trying to sort through the rats nest it was.

I did pull all of the connections and clean them today, which didn't help. I also need to get a key switch, the previous owner had removed the switch and wired the brown and red wires together behind the dash. I don't think that is the problem, because it was working that way before i did the tear down.

Any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
jbrewster66
Not Yet Wild

Update...

After sitting for a day or so, while hooked up directly to the battery the controller came back on. I have now rewired the controller through the solenoid and have it powered on and ready.

When I press the accelerator I get nothing. I jumped the 2 large posts on the solenoid and can get the wheels to spin.

On the All Trax controller I get 1 red LED blink when I press the accelerator, which according to their website indicated "1 Red = Throttle Position Sensor Over Range. Check for open wires.". So I assume I have a bad ground.

Was wondering if there would be a best place to start when looking for a ground issue? I cleaned the connection at the receptacle which didnt help.

I will be looking at it again tonight when I get off of work so any advice you guys have would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
jbrewster66
Not Yet Wild

Update...

Got home and was able to find the problem. On the solenoid, the black wire going to one of the smaller posts was basically disintegrating inside. It looked like it was still connected but the only thing keeping it intact was the insulation.

Put a new piece in there and all was good to go.

Volt- thank you for the help.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good job! Solving problems like these is a challenge but it's worth it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha