lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Whitaker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Powering accessories

As I posted in another thread we picked up a '13 EZ GO txt 48v. It come loaded pretty nice with visuals. I'm thinking about sounds and maybe Led lighting. I'm looking for general consensus on the power supply for accessories. Is it thought to be better to go with a reducer wired in, or an addition of a separate 12v deep cycle battery? Is the only downside to adding a 12v battery to power accessories the need to charge two separate systems? Thanks in advance for your help.
Whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powering accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitaker View Post
As I posted in another thread we picked up a '13 EZ GO txt 48v. It come loaded pretty nice with visuals. I'm thinking about sounds and maybe Led lighting. I'm looking for general consensus on the power supply for accessories. Is it thought to be better to go with a reducer wired in, or an addition of a separate 12v deep cycle battery? Is the only downside to adding a 12v battery to power accessories the need to charge two separate systems? Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm my opinion, the other downside to having a full sized deep cycle battery is cart-lean. It will make your cart lean on the drivers side due too the extra weight.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I have an extra 12-V deep cycle that runs my headlights and winch(s). Soon I will have an LED light bar on it as well. The separate 12-V charging is really no big deal and frankly, I don't charge the 12-V after every outing. IMHO the separate 12-V is far better than drawing more run time from my cart.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another thing to remember is peak load. Especially important if you run high intermittent drain devices like amplifiers.

If you only run headlights/radio (no amp) then a converter is fine.
I have headlights, radio, amplifier, under carriage lights and cell phone charger so I have a separate marine 12v battery.

Another option is to use a regular 12v if you have less intense loads as it would weigh less.

I do have cart lean, but I ride on the left (240 lbs) wife rides on right (140 lbs) so that *might* have something to do with that... :)
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I seen where some people made a longer shackle for the rear leaf spring to put on one side of the cart to fix the cart-lean.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #6
FamRide18
Not Yet Wild

I'm having the same debate as original poster. I like the idea of an extra battery, but the Duracell golf cart battery that I have will not fit.

- Can I just get any 12v deep cycle battery and wire the accessories to this? It doesn't have to be a golf cart battery with the wells for water does it? Any recommendations?

I already have a charger that I can use, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks
FamRide18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamRide18 View Post
I'm having the same debate as original poster. I like the idea of an extra battery, but the Duracell golf cart battery that I have will not fit.

- Can I just get any 12v deep cycle battery and wire the accessories to this? It doesn't have to be a golf cart battery with the wells for water does it? Any recommendations?

I already have a charger that I can use, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks
Yeah just get a decent marine deep cycle battery and you will be good. I use one on my ranger because of the sound system and it's 6 years old and will still play for hours.
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've done this both ways. I have 2 carts, one with a converter and the other with a separate battery. Here's what I learned.

Separate battery: I tried a lawn mower battery first. The members here said it would last about a year. They were right. Then I tried a glass mat power chair type battery. No maintenance and relatively small ~ 20lbs. Lasted 5+ years. It is charged with a $30 charger from wally world that is still fine. Has a quick connect. Can also charge it through the power point. Powers lights and a small sound system. No issues. If you are going to power a winch or a very powerful sound system this is probably not enough.

My other cart has a 30 amp converter. No issues here either. I can not prove to myself that this set up reduces range and I have been trying. Once installed this is a simpler way to go. But, don't go cheap. Get one that reduces from the entire pack voltage and has more capacity than you think you might need.

LED lights will reduce the demands either way you go.

I have not looked into Lithium for a 12v source. Might be options there.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a 12v lithium battery from autozone works good,lasts long and charges fast. Downside is price. With the charger it was about $300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you are not running a winch, or a stereo amp in addition to your car stereo, get a DC converter and never look back... Like said above, don't waste money on a cheap one. I have had good luck with many DPI dc converters, and ScottyB s converters also have a great reputation..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO