lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Melex Differential Noise

Hey guys,
I've read back through several Melex post here and they have been somewhat helpful.

I have had this '99 Melex 512E cart since practically new for personal use and the rear end has always been louder than most carts but it has started a "growling" noise and just does not sound right.

My Dad and I removed the 36V. 3300 rpm GE motor from the Dana/Spicer H12 axle and rear-end and it appears that the motor is ok. There were no teeth or metal parts in the oil pan so the gears, I assume, are ok.

What could be the source for the louder growling noise?

Is this H12 Axel Differential common in carts and readily available or are parts and bearing available to order?

Also I am having a very hard time finding the rubber differential oil fill/drain plug for this unit.

Thanks in advance.

Dan J.
Raleigh,NC
Herfnwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Melex Differential Noise

Welcome. Can you post some pictures of this Differential?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello Herfnwolf and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks and I'll post pics in a few hours.

I did find a local Melex owner that bought a parts cart that I might get to scavenge a few parts from.

Thanks
DJ
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

Here is the Dana/Spicer H12 axle and differential on my 1999 Melex 512E.

I have a guy that is going to look it over and replace bearings for about $80.00 this week. Maybe the "roar" noise will be solved. Has anyone ever found parts for these?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to the forums.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

Update:
I took the complete axle and differential to a cart repair shop near Goldsboro,NC. The gave it a quick look on my tailgate and found the upper gear that inserts into the motor had a little play and the bearing was slightly rusty...not good.

Upon teardown they found that the hub bearings were good but all the bearings in the differential were shot. The gears had some wear but appeared ok and the rebuild was going to cost $290.00. Not sure if this is a good price but I feel their experience and knowledge was the best around.

I'll report back on the results and hopefully the roaring noise will be gone or at least considerably less.

DJ
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

final update:

I installed the rebuilt DANA/SPICER H12 rear end differential and axle assembly. The six bearings were all replaced. and the the rubber fill plug cap was replaced. The gears were in very good shape. Cost $290.00.

Problem solved. The cart now is very quite and moves out pretty good with the 36v 3300 rpm GE motor.

The next project will be a trailer hitch and I might replace the stock turf tires and rims.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
gaston
Gone Wild

290 for only bearings? sounds a little too pricey for me unless they had change the input shaft... those differentials are practically the same as Ezgo's, they use 8 bearings in total worth under 50 top quality bearings. But if they change some pinion, input shaft or gear inside, 290 is good price.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Herfnwolf
Not Yet Wild

It was just bearings and two "caps"?? The breakdown was $180.00 for parts and $100.00 for labor. They said the gears were in good shape. I may have been ripped but based on their knowledge I felt like they were experienced and had done quite a few similar H12 repairs.

Oh well, I guess I helped stimulate the economy....ugh.

DJ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts