lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
tstefaniak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Briggs 35hp blowing smoke at high rpm

I was out tonight romping around in the river bed and after a mile or so on the level roads at about max rpm it bogged down and started burning smoke out the back. Once I let off the gas and pulled over everything seemed to be fine. Do my valves need to be adjusted? Could they be cavitating? Anyone have any thoughts?
tstefaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Briggs 35hp blowing smoke at high rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstefaniak View Post
I was out tonight romping around in the river bed and after a mile or so on the level roads at about max rpm it bogged down and started burning smoke out the back. Once I let off the gas and pulled over everything seemed to be fine. Do my valves need to be adjusted? Could they be cavitating? Anyone have any thoughts?
What is max rpm? And how long did you run at that rpm? Hopefully yer just over full on the oil...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
tstefaniak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Briggs 35hp blowing smoke at high rpm

I have been running it for a couple of weeks and have not had this problem. I have not added any oil since. It still has the stock govenor so I think about 4300 rpm.
tstefaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Briggs 35hp blowing smoke at high rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstefaniak View Post
I have been running it for a couple of weeks and have not had this problem. I have not added any oil since. It still has the stock govenor so I think about 4300 rpm.
Have ya checked the oil? I had a Honda do that, scared the bajesus outta me. Turned out one of my kids added oil to it, like too much oil. The rpm's don't sound bad, so I'm guessin' when ya lost power, you were filing plugs. Lets hope I'm guessin' right.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Briggs 35hp blowing smoke at high rpm

Most common is the breather sucking oil from the crankcase and feeding it back to the carb. The extra oil movement at rpm will cause excess sling and can fill the breather tube with oil. See if there is oil in the air filter housing
The bogging and restarting could be a plugged fuel filter. If it's not new replace it.
There will be some more here soon.
It's always a good idea to adjust valves.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!