lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
brewvegas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default All batteries test 6.3V or better, but cart loses power quickly

I read the EZGO Diagnostics thread but found it a little confusing. I've checked all my batteries and they are hold a good charge. I just started having problems with the power after I installed a light kit. I definitely wired it wrong a few times and it is now working with a reducer. I'm wondering if I didn't fry anything else at the same time I was miswiring the light kit. I can drive about a block then it loses power quickly.

Any ideads what to trouble shoot next?

Thanks...
brewvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: All batteries test 6.3V or better, but cart loses power quickly

I don't think anything you did with the lights could effect the batteriesd that adversly unless you have a dead short still? Time for a specific gravity test of all the battery cells with a simple hydrometer. You may have a weak or damaged battery battery. Voltage check won't always show a bad battery.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
sunking
Gone Wild

Voltage readings are unreliable unless under load. Hydrometer with temperature tell the real story.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewvegas View Post
I read the EZGO Diagnostics thread but found it a little confusing. I've checked all my batteries and they are hold a good charge. I just started having problems with the power after I installed a light kit. I definitely wired it wrong a few times and it is now working with a reducer. I'm wondering if I didn't fry anything else at the same time I was miswiring the light kit. I can drive about a block then it loses power quickly.

Any ideads what to trouble shoot next?

Thanks...
What the batteries read when sitting does not say what kind of load they can handle. If I've said this once, I've said it 1,000 times, you HAVE to get a discharge test to completely know the status of your battery pack. These machines are expensive - but what you can do is to hook your meter up to your pack and drive your cart. What does the battery voltage go to as you drive? You could have a completely bad set, or maybe just one battery with a dead cell - It's hard to say with out a discharge machine...

I've seen batteries go to 3.3 volts in 5 minutes on the machine, yet 5 minutes later show 6.4 just sitting. Electricity storage is a strange animal sometimes

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
brewvegas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A few days ago I took readings of all the batteries and they all averaged about 6.3v.

After a few days, I took a reading and the total pack was at 34.1v
This is a pic of the individual battery readings.

As you can see, it looks like I have a significant reading difference on one of the batteries.

I jacked up the rear and ran it for 5 minutes. While running, the total charge was 32.3V and the individual reading can be see below

Is it safe to assume that I have a bad battery that should be replaced? I need to test all the batteries with a hydrometer, first I need to read up on how to use the readings. I have a few hydrometers laying around from my brewing adventures.

Thanks...
Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It may be safe to say that ALL of your batteries are bad Depending upon when they were last recharged. Even if they are good then you are drawing them down to an unsafe level.... the manufacture suggests never drawing them down below 50% capacity. Use the chart below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 58 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
brewvegas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, I have a hydrometer. Do I just take out water from each cell (with a turkey baster) and put in tube and float the hydrometer in the tube for the reading?

Should I charge the batteries first, then take readings every 6 hours?

Thanks...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

LOOKS TO ME YOU JUST OUGHT TO GET A NEW SET OF BATTERIES,AND DONT PUT THAT TURKEY BASTER BACK IN THE KITCHEN,THIS GRAVY TASTES A LITTLE FUNNY DONT YOU THINK?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
brewvegas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will probably end up getting all new batteries, I'm just disappointed because I just bought the cart for $1000 and have put $650 into it already. By the time I add batteries, I could have gotten a lot more for the money and not a 1997 cart.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewvegas View Post
I will probably end up getting all new batteries, I'm just disappointed because I just bought the cart for $1000 and have put $650 into it already. By the time I add batteries, I could have gotten a lot more for the money and not a 1997 cart.
Not trying to be mean; but what did you expect for $1000? The price should have tipped you off the batteries were shot. Even a 97 would be suspect unless you checked the date code on the batteries and tested them.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO