lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Hesitation at start

Hi,
I have 2 97' club cars, and one of them is having a hard time starting.

When I press the gas pedal from a stop I get the following:
* Barely press it - Engine starts, seems good, then I can floor it and go
* 1/2 throttle - engine starts, but seems more hesitant and labored than at light throttle, occasionally will just BARELY idle, then eventually speeds up to appropriate speed
* Full throttle - will just BARELY idle, goes on for 5-20 seconds, eventually speeds up to appropriate speed.

Engine temp doesn't seem to affect it.

Replaced air filter, fuel filters, spark plug, changed oil and filter, all today, with no change.

I searched, but didn't see anything that sounds like it matched my problem.

Thanks!
dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
WCF
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hesitation at start

I was having much the same problem with my 97, then yesterday, it refused to accelerate and move at all, just idle.

Since you have fuel, timing, spark and compression, it pretty much has to be the carburetor.

On mine, I opened the drain plug on the bottom side of the carb bowl, then removed the bowl.
It was difficult to see, but some bit of minutia fell out of the needle valve area when I manipulated the float.
I suspect it was keeping the float or needle valve from moving. Seeing nothing else wrong, I reassembled the carb, and tried it out. Success!

I couldn't find time to fix it when it kinda worked, but I was forced to make time when it failed to work, and I should know better.

I hope yours is as easily cured.
WCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Wcf, thanks! Could this be done with the carb on the engine, or did it have to be removed?

I'm still waiting on my shop manual to arive...
Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

dk dude i would go a head and pull the carb off and clean the jets and the flow tubes out . will take about an hour and aout one can of carb and choke cleaner, but will clean all jets and passes better then the drop method. but thats just me personally. alittle time cleaneing and doing it rigth is a whole lot cheaper then frustration and having to maybe doing it agian after dumping a can of liquid mechic in the tank annd hoping and waiting for it to clean the carb out.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
dkizerian
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

should I buy a rebuild kit and just rebuild the whole thing while it's off? or should I buy a new carb and call it good....
Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

dk on my 99 they tell me at cc that only the bowl oring and the mounting gasket are only available seperatley. oh and the main jet. but they can get the whole carb for 180bucks. the oring and the mounting gasket can be saved usaully with out any issue if taken aprt carefully, but the mounting gasket is like 1.50 for it. a can of carb and choke is 2 bucks and your hour or so of time to pull it and pull the bowl off to clean it and clean the passages. the bowl nut has a hole in it and the jets. i would just clean really well with carb cleaner and a good air compressor, and if needed a peice of mechaincs wire. that way you dont damage any thing, or if the jet is seizesd in the cardb and you have to drill and mess with it. ussaully thats all you have to do. i knowe the guys on here will say that thats ok to do otheres will say to go electric, some will say to go with new, well you get the picture. if yuo can pull it off with out damaging the mounting gasket, remove the nut that hold the bowl, spray and clean, i think iit will be fine. i just found out that cc put out a technicall bullitein saying to do away with the duel micro fuel filters and run new 1/4 fuel line and run a single 1/4 in -5/16 in 30 mic fuel filter. the clear ones, unlike the white and blue filters i have on mine. it cost me 6 bucks in aprts, 2.50 for the filter and 3.50 for 3 ft of 1/4 hose. both are available at napa. mmt(mike from texas one of the sponsorshas them available. ) on his page for a picture. this willl give you clean lines and a new filter to the pump. then from pump to carb they said to run the same line with another 30 microeter filter. i would recommend that for the extra 10 bucks.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car