lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
davefewox
Not Yet Wild

Default stock motor. 48 volts?

In reading various posts in this forum do I deduce that you can upgrade a standard PDS TXT to 48 volts without changing the motor? I just got a 400 amp controller, but i'm not sure what voltage it will tolerate. i'm due for batteries fairly soon anyway.
davefewox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: stock motor. 48 volts?

Yes, the stock 36 motor will work with the 48 volt upgrade, and from what I understand, you'll have more torque and speed by sticking with the stock 36 volt motor. I love my new conversion!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Bryan-22
Not Yet Wild

Spoiled,
Do you have a PDS? Scottyb said that it would overheat the motor??
I think I'm due for a battery change as well and would like to know if I should go 48. At least I think it needs batteries.....My batteries are relatively new (1-07, 3-08's, and 2-09's) but they just run out way too quick. Voltage is good but like I said they just don't last me very long.
Bryan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Bryan-22
Not Yet Wild

As soon as I posted I read your sig line. PDS! So your saying it CAN be done!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
sactodreamer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just picked up an ezgo txt with no batteries, I need all six. So I'm waiting eager for this info to determine if I should go with the sam's club 8v batteries for around $500 and convert to a 48v system or spend around $900 for the 6v batteries and leave it alone.
sactodreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We all have know for years that the series motors are the ones to use when over volting or off roading...... We have experimented with a couple of 48v PDS carts. All were left on stock wheels and all had relatively small controllers; 3 & 4 hundred amps. There has been no trouble with these yet. but they are NOT Hunting Buggies or Rock Crawlers. Just quick golf carts...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
sactodreamer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
We all have know for years that the series motors are the ones to use when over volting or off roading...... We have experimented with a couple of 48v PDS carts. All were left on stock wheels and all had relatively small controllers; 3 & 4 hundred amps. There has been no trouble with these yet. but they are NOT Hunting Buggies or Rock Crawlers. Just quick golf carts...
I searched for what is required for the conversion. Is there a 36v to 48v thread?
sactodreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Bryan-22
Not Yet Wild

There are a lot of 36V to 48V conversion threads that you should be able to find if you google it on this site. Here is what you need though, a winning lottery ticket, 48 volts of batteries (8-6V or 6-8V), a controller capable of handling 48V, an upgraded solenoid/resistor/diode, upgrade all wires to 4 ga, and a 48V charger.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Bryan-22
Not Yet Wild

One more question and I'll leave this be. I'm seriously losing sleep thinking about it.
Does the conversion to 48 volts increase run time or is it simply for increased torque and speed? I am very happy with my torque/speed with the Alltrax 400 DCX and 4 ga wires but the run time blows. I think it's my batteries. I load tested them lasted night and all fell in the middle of the "weak" range when on a single battery. If I switch the load tester to 12V and test across 2 batteries it reads right on the weak/good division line. They all read good voltage but they just don't last long. On a paved road I can get about 8 miles but in the woods/fields/dirt I only get about 2-3. The guys in my hunting club that run Club Car's get about 15-20 miles.
I just don't want to go down and spend a lot of $$ on new batteries and get the same result. I may shoot the **** thing!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan-22 View Post
Spoiled,
Do you have a PDS? Scottyb said that it would overheat the motor??
I think I'm due for a battery change as well and would like to know if I should go 48. At least I think it needs batteries.....My batteries are relatively new (1-07, 3-08's, and 2-09's) but they just run out way too quick. Voltage is good but like I said they just don't last me very long.

Most likely, this combo of battery ages has ruined your newer batteries. The new batts are cooked while the old batteries are taking a charge. Newer batteries will take a charge much quicker and overcharge long before the old ones are fully charged. A new set of 8volt trojans will give you 20miles on a charge no problem, just be sure to break them in right. search battery break in procedures
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48volts conversion, new control box?, stock motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!