lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
timgman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 CC 48V series no move...

OK,
After much reading I have a few questions and some info to post on a 96 48 v CC with (what I think is) a series system.

55 volts on the system. (4 12 volts deep cycle batteries)
This cart has
a. no tow / run switch
b. one 48 v solenoid mounted on passenger side behind the batteries
c. a curtis speed controller of some kind
d an obc of some type.

Here's the issue
The cart will not move
The solenoid is good (tested)
The fuses are good
The obc has been reset (drained the caps via remove ground / reverse and kill the buzzer method)

If I put a cable between the small ground terminal on the solenoid to the main ground on my first (or is it last???) battery it does NOT trigger the solenoid,

If I simply short the 2 main (large) posts on the solenoid together emulate activation) the golf cart functions / drives as usual.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
PS: the cars exhibits the same behavior with known good 8v batteries.. (I have a 01 48 v CC as well).
timgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 CC 48V series no move...

sounds like either the solenoid is bad, or you are not getting a pos voltage to trigger the solenoid.

the attached drawing shows the components required for activating the solenoid. if you jumper the small pos+ post to the large pos+ "IN" post, the solenoid should activate. if it doesn't activate, the solenoid is bad. if it does activate then the solenoid is good and you need to find the break in the interlock. to do that, trace continuity from the large pos+ post of the solenoid through the interlock circuit until you find the break.

hope that helps! cheers!
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid_trigger.jpg (47.3 KB, 20 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

sounds like you need a soleniod.......common problem..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
timgman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
I though I eliminated that by testing it but I'll bet (and I hope) your right :)...
I'll post the re-test results later this evening..
timg
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you had to jump the large post to get it to work mone than likely if its not the activation circuit ( rarely ) the soleniod is bad and thats a very common problem.............right up in the top %age of breakdowns...............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
timgman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
This will certainly help.. I'll try to find where I have and do not have voltage..
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didnt say for sure if you had a series ( F&R lever under right leg ) or regen 1 ( F&R rocker type switch under right leg ) You have been able to run cart with jumper on solenoid large posts so you need to pin down whats not making solenoid close or if its the solenoid itself? You have tried grounding solenoid to pack ground so that eliminates the OBC? If its a series cart have you tested the flow of power from key switch to the micro inside pedal speed control to the first micro on F&R control to solenoid? The problem with 1996 carts is that they were playing around with different pedal speed controls during that period and first regen set ups so that along with a cart that age you might have gosh know what for parts? To narrow pedal control down look for the following #1 STOCK WAS a black box connected directly to pedal shaft under drivers floor #2 pedal unit under drivers seat between batterys ( pie shaped ) #3 pedal unit mounted under passenger floor later model MCOR #4 NONE of the above
Hope this will help you narrow down problem?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
timgman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
You didnt say for sure if you had a series ( F&R lever under right leg ) or regen 1 ( F&R rocker type switch under right leg ) You have been able to run cart with jumper on solenoid large posts so you need to pin down whats not making solenoid close or if its the solenoid itself? ................................................
Hope this will help you narrow down problem?

I'm certain I have.

"#1 STOCK WAS a black box connected directly to pedal shaft under drivers floor."

I have tried to directly groundt the small neg terminal on the solenoid to the neg on the forst battery. that did not work.

When I say I did a test on the solenoid I did this..
I removed the wires from the solenoid and put 48 volts to the pos and neg terminals on the solenoid. It did trigger...
12 volts would NOT trigger it.
(is that normal? does it take 48 volts to trigger the solenoid via the small terminals on a 48 volt solenoid?)

Thanks a bunch!

I Will test the flow of power through the switch this evening. I have a crazy job and 2 kids that generally take up much of my time so I may not get to it until this evening..

Thanks for all of your help. This place is a great resource for CC' owners :).
Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Grounding solenoid must be done to ( last ) battery in pack ( normally on 1996 drivers side rear battery negative post ) the post that gives total 48 volts when plus lead is on first battery ( passenger side rear ). A 48 volt solenoid normally wont close on 12 volts but might on 36? depending on many factors?
I hate to admit it BUT this forum is GREAT for THOSE OTHER OFF BRAND CARTS ALSO???
Just kidding?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
timgman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
I hate to admit it BUT this forum is GREAT for THOSE OTHER OFF BRAND CARTS ALSO???
Just kidding?
Ha! True..
I've been in here to troubleshoot my father-inlaw's ez-go as well.
I was testing the solenoid with that neg. so I must be missing the positive...
can I just push 48v to the two terminals on the solenoid without disconnecting the wires on the small terminals or is that just asking for issues?
thanks
again. :) -
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car