lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
CroFab
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 and 1991 marathon

I have a 1987 marathon resistor cart, great shape, new t-105’s runs great, came with a elec heater mounted to column, not sure of voltage.

Picked up an 1991 solid state cart, good batteries, seems to run ok, body etc.. POS, plan to transplant solid state stuff into 87 resistor cart. Motors look different, should I consider changing it too? 87 rolls quite freely when pushed inn the shop, 91 wont move except under power, could be the brakes? Not sure.

Anything I should look out for? Or need to be aware of? Only paid $400.00 for the 91, figured good parts to keep the 87 running at least, am stripping. The 91 down to transplant electrics and store the rest of the parts, Brand new tires and wheels for spares too.

Opinions welcome.

Need a parts and service manual for these, any for download?
CroFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
CroFab
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 and 1991 marathon

Bump

SO I havn't had much of a response on this, Should the 91 controller cart freewheel when trying to push like my 87 resistor cart? and is it worth swapping out all the components to update from the resistor stuff?

Are the Motors different between models?

Or, should I bite the bullet and order alltrax etc...
Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

actually, if you want to update a "toaster" cart to solid-state....the best thing you could do would go with a Alltrax controller. and better yet, go to cartsunlimited.net (one of our site sponsors) which has a kit that has everythinjg you should need to make the swap.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

I think Sir Nuke has given good advice. I ran a resistor cart for years and I can tell you that a controller cart is vastly superior in every way.

Your 91 cart should roll around without binding. It could certainly be an issue with the brakes. I would pull the brake drum and take a look at it. I don't think you will find a lot of parts that the carts share. I think it would be a mistake to try to transplant the internals from the 91 to the 87. You would be much better off to use the kit in the link. I don't think the motors are interchangeable either. I have 2 resistor cart motors in my shed that have been there for years. They will not fit a modern cart and nobody seems to want them.

Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is to try to sell both carts and start over with a newer model. If you really want to keep the 87, then either continue to run it as resistor cart or upgrade with the kit. Good luck whatever you decide.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I also have an '87 resistor Marathon. It's my "at home" cart for buzzing around my sub-division. It doesn't have to go very far or very fast so it suites my purpose here. I work for a cart shop, so I can get "stuff" pretty reasonably, but I'm leaving the Marathon alone. Yes, you can certainly upgrade yours and have something unlike what everybody else has, if that's what you're after. Spend enough and you could make it a show piece. But if you're trying to make it a more useful and dependable daily driver I think Sir Nuke and coosa are right. Keep in mind that even if you upgrade the drivetrain the rest of that cart is 32 years old.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
CroFab
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys, Good advice, still, a lot of the parts will interchange, But, that being said, new electronics are appealing.

The toaster cart works fine right now, played a couple of rounds and no problems.

I'm a tinkerer, used to Franken projects.

Think I'll be sending Scotty B some money.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFab View Post
Think I'll be sending Scotty B some money.

...and that, my friends, is why we refer to it as an "addiction"
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO