lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

Default How do you test batteries

When you have a cart at home you might have more options such as reading your charger, taking to Advance Auto, etc...but when looking at a cart to purchase how do you test the batteries to know you are getting a decent deal?

I know you can place a meter and see if the voltage is close, but how would you do a load test or see if the batteries are in decent shape to hold a charge?
Outlawcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: How do you test batteries

take that meter with you and tape the leads to the battery pack lay the meter on the seat and drive it and see what the volts drop to, and then do the same-thing with each battery and that will give you a good idea of what your getting, your cart is the best load tester you have, try to find a hill to go up to put more of a load on the drive system
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Outlawcart
Getting Wild

What should the max acceptable voltage drop be?
Outlawcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have one meter with alligator clips on the test leads. Simply connect it to the pack and lay it on the seat next to you. This is a load test when you start out accelerate hard (uphill if possible). a full pack should not drop more than 5-6 v.

Ask when was the last charge? How much the cart has been driven since then. All this info factors into determining if the pack is healthy.

Years ago I had a scientist guy come with a refractometer to look at a golf cart for sale (he checked specific gravity in every cell).... that cost me. He bought the cart but I had to go buy a refractometer!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have one meter with alligator clips on the test leads. Simply connect it to the pack and lay it on the seat next to you. This is a load test when you start out accelerate hard (uphill if possible). a full pack should not drop more than 5-6 v.

Ask when was the last charge? How much the cart has been driven since then. All this info factors into determining if the pack is healthy.

Years ago I had a scientist guy come with a refractometer to look at a golf cart for sale (he checked specific gravity in every cell).... that cost me. He bought the cart but I had to go buy a refractometer!
That's just a teense of overkill to test sg on a battery!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop