lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Short red flash at start of charging? Dedicated Circuit?

2015 E Z GO Freedom RXV 48 volt cart. With 2019 Trojan T-875 batteries. With factory Power Wise QE charger model 917-4810. I get one short red flash from the charger LED when I plug the charging cable into the cart. Then it starts the normal flashing green charge signal light. The cart then charges normally, to full charge, and shows the solid green led. Cart runs and functions with no problems. The power outlet is just one of several in our garage. Outlet voltage checks in at 121 volts on my VOM meter. Is the red flash caused because it is not a "dedicated circuit" as stated in the owners manual? How important is having a dedicated circuit for charging? Will this cause any damage to the charger, batteries, or cart controls? Is this a fire hazard? Certainly a "newbie" question, but I could not find a definitive answer in the manual. THANKS!
Roger
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Short red flash at start of charging? Dedicated Circuit?

They all do this, dont worry. Those chargers are pretty low power, compared to the old "big amps" chargers. If the circuit breaker is not tripping, your probably ok. Besides, it's a QE, you will get a "opportunity" to pick out a new charger plenty soon enough.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #3
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
They all do this, dont worry. Those chargers are pretty low power, compared to the old "big amps" chargers. If the circuit breaker is not tripping, your probably ok. Besides, it's a QE, you will get a "opportunity" to pick out a new charger plenty soon enough.
THANK YOU! It does not throw the breaker. So, I will keep using it for now. I will start looking at new chargers. What do you recommend? A factory EZGO or something else? Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dpi, or lester summit
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I threw my factory charger away and bought a Lester Summit 2
jkenprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #6
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

THANK YOU! I'll start looking for a replacement before my old one craps out.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The Lester Summit is just another QE. Chinesium garbage that will fail just like a QE. It's even cheaper and plastickier than a QE.

Time for us to go back to the tank chargers. You can get 30 years+ out of them. Weren't broken, or too smart. They did one thing well--charged your batteries. No complaining, no faults, no timeouts, simple. Why overengineer it?

Why does a charger have to be smarter than the owner or offer stupid bluetooth? it doesn't belong in a battery charger.

Where I work, I got a whole pallet of tank chargers and various others which I have ripped the brains out of and replaced with timers. They're excellent boosters, since our Eagles are also too smart for their own good, making me reset them too often for something stupid such as 'bulk stage timeout'. Sorry, but I have to work, I can't sit and babysit a stupid computer charger.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
The Lester Summit is just another QE. Chinesium garbage that will fail just like a QE. It's even cheaper and plastickier than a QE.

Time for us to go back to the tank chargers. You can get 30 years+ out of them. Weren't broken, or too smart. They did one thing well--charged your batteries. No complaining, no faults, no timeouts, simple. Why overengineer it?

Why does a charger have to be smarter than the owner or offer stupid bluetooth? it doesn't belong in a battery charge.
Nick,
THANK YOU for your reply. What kind of charger would you recommend for my EZGO 2015 48 volt ( 6 8Volt Trojan T-875 batteries) RXV cart. Is an old school looking DPI what I should be look at?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO