lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
MAVFAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery Cleaning & Maintenance

I want to do a thorough cleaning of the batteries & cables on my 2013 EZGO 48V PDS. Is it OK to remove all cables at once. I know to put the RUN/TOW switch in TOW mode anytime you mess with the wiring. What is the proper way to proceed. I have Permatex Battery Cleaner that is a spray foamy stuff but I need to treat the terminals before putting the battery cables back on. I don't have that product so I could use some advise on that as well. The batteries are Trojan T-875. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
MAVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Battery Cleaning & Maintenance

Want to go all the way or just half way?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
MAVFAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Want to go all the way or just half way?
I want to know if there is a specific order in which to disconnect and reconnect the battery cables in order to do a thorough cleaning of the terminals.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Start by disconnecting the NEG cable then the POS. Then the remainder of the cables.

I like to do a thorough cleaning when I am replacing batteries. I take a 2 1/2 gal house cleaning bucket, dump in a refrigerator size box of baking soda. Fill about 2/3 with water. Then as you remove the cables drop each one in the bucket to neutralize any acid on the cables. Remove the cables from the bucket and rinse them off. Replace any that are severely corroded.

For the next part, you need to have your cart over an area that can tolerate a little staining, if concrete. Pour the bucket slowly over the entire battery pack, things will bubble a lot during this process. The residue will stain concrete if not rinsed thorougly. I would flood the area under the cart with fresh water before starting the pour to reduce the possibility of staining. After pouring the bucket, rinse the entire pack thoroughly with a flood of water not a spray, try not to splatter solution during the rinse. Make sure that you rinse and wipe the body of any splatter.

I have only done battery replacements on other members carts at my club. We have a sump draing in the maintenance area behind the cart barn, which makes it easy to use this process.

That's my method, more thorough than the battery cleaning spray.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Key out, Run/Tow switch to Tow, all cables labeled before removal. Maybe take a digital pic of any multi-terminal connections for reference later. Remove the cables, remove the batteries. Clean the battery cases on a bench or a wood stump, dry with towels you don't care about. Now, look at the battery rack and remove and neutralize any corrosion or material buildup. Paint rack repairs as needed. Reinstall batteries and cables. On multi-connection terminals make sure the heavy gauge battery lug gets installed first, then stack the lighter weight lugs on top before snugging down the lug nut.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

All sounds good. And I suggest not even doing this over concrete you like. Find dirt or gravel to do it over. I think all these "golf cart friendly" neighborhoods need a wash-out for electric carts, or they aren't truly "friendly" to y'all.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
MAVFAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Start by disconnecting the NEG cable then the POS. Then the remainder of the cables.

I like to do a thorough cleaning when I am replacing batteries. I take a 2 1/2 gal house cleaning bucket, dump in a refrigerator size box of baking soda. Fill about 2/3 with water. Then as you remove the cables drop each one in the bucket to neutralize any acid on the cables. Remove the cables from the bucket and rinse them off. Replace any that are severely corroded.

For the next part, you need to have your cart over an area that can tolerate a little staining, if concrete. Pour the bucket slowly over the entire battery pack, things will bubble a lot during this process. The residue will stain concrete if not rinsed thorougly. I would flood the area under the cart with fresh water before starting the pour to reduce the possibility of staining. After pouring the bucket, rinse the entire pack thoroughly with a flood of water not a spray, try not to splatter solution during the rinse. Make sure that you rinse and wipe the body of any splatter.

I have only done battery replacements on other members carts at my club. We have a sump draing in the maintenance area behind the cart barn, which makes it easy to use this process.

That's my method, more thorough than the battery cleaning spray.
Thank You. I appreciate the assistance.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
MAVFAN
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Key out, Run/Tow switch to Tow, all cables labeled before removal. Maybe take a digital pic of any multi-terminal connections for reference later. Remove the cables, remove the batteries. Clean the battery cases on a bench or a wood stump, dry with towels you don't care about. Now, look at the battery rack and remove and neutralize any corrosion or material buildup. Paint rack repairs as needed. Reinstall batteries and cables. On multi-connection terminals make sure the heavy gauge battery lug gets installed first, then stack the lighter weight lugs on top before snugging down the lug nut.
Can you recommend a terminal protector after the cleaning?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a can of Battery Terminal Protectant purchased from Buggies Unlimited about 10 years ago. It is very thick. Not sure if this stuff is still around. Other brands are a lot thinner and not as effective.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVFAN View Post
Can you recommend a terminal protector after the cleaning?
CRC makes a good product, available at better auto parts stores. Spraying it into its own cap and applying it with a throw away brush gives a neater appearance.

Tags
battery, cables
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO