lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Replacement

Bought my cart summer of 2016 and used it for 2 weeks at Myrtle Beach in a campground. Have used it about 5-6 weeks over the summer months the last 4 years. Down out Disney over Spring Break a few weeks ago and noticed the batteries would drain very quickly after driving about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and this was not at full throttle as we were in a CG. Cart is 48 V and I had new Trojan T875's installed when I bought it in 2016.

BAsed on my use I think 4 1/2 years is pretty weak for Trojans to last. I keep it on a smart charger all year long and water never got low.

Looking at replacements and can get Trojan 875 for $870, Napa Specialty Golf Cart made by Deka for $730 or Duracell's made by Deka at Sam's for $640.

Trojan is 170 amp hours and the other 2 are 165. Are the Trojans worth the expense based on my experience on how i use the cart. We only use at the beach for the summers and it sits in my garage from August-late spring on a smart charger. tks
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Replacement

Batteries don't last as long in warmer climates, so 4.5 years may be better than average in your location. (See attached map)

Of course, careful use and maintenance as well as float charging can extend the lifespan considerably. My Exide batteries are 8.4 years old and I'll most likely be replacing them with Duracell batteries this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery life Expectancy Zones.jpg (162.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got Duracell 230 AH SLIGC 115 5 years ago this month at Batteries Plus Bulbs. Still lasting strong.

Johnnie, are you ever considering lithium in the near future
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Cecilt
Not Yet Wild

OP here. Are all the Duracell 8V the same. Batteries Plus and Sams Club seem to have the same one but Batteries Plus sticks the word "pro" on the battery. I have to assume this is just marketing so Batteries Plus can sell their battery for $150 and Sams can sell theirs for $106.
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my area they are the same battery. Duracell 165ah at the 20 hour rate. $106 at Sams and $149 at Batteries plus. Local Batteries plus calls it Duracell Ultra
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like East-Penn (Deka) only makes one 8V wet cell golf cart battery, so they are all the same no matter what text the re-libelers print on their labels, or the price they charge for them.

Here are the Duracell and the Deka golf cart battery brochures listing the various models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Duracell golf cart batteries.pdf (716.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Deka-Pro-Master-Golf-Car-Flyer-2020.pdf (327.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugster View Post
Johnnie, are you ever considering lithium in the near future
No.

I've given it some thought over the last couple of years and cannot justify the expense because I cannot use any more speed or greater acceleration and even though I'll be going from seven 6V-245AH batteries down to seven 6V-215AH batteries, I'll still have twice the range I actually need these days.

With the motor I'm running, a 17" tire height and 42V battery pack, my cart has about 60% more torque than a stock 36V PDS and I have to limit the amount of acceleration or I cannot take off from a standstill on grass without spinning the tires. The increased torque is throughout the RPM spectrum, so with a 42V battery pack I can spin the motor at 7,000 RPM on level pavement and I RPM limit the motor down to the 6500 RPM max recommended by D&D, or a little over 25 MPH. The max range I travel is about 12 miles, and a stock PDS will go further than that on a single charge and I'll have about 12% more storage capacity than a stock PDS cart.

Bottom line is that I cannot use the acceleration, speed and range benefits of going to lithium, so why go to the expense of installing it.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

All good points, these duracell batts I believe are DEKA. I got 10 years out of my first batch of DEKA, hope to get out of these too. May be by then Lithium will be more economical. Definitely going to 42v then (Lead acid) or if lithium will need to look at 48 too I guess. Thanks!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO