lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Issues

I have a 2007 TXT PDS 36v

I have 6 x Duracell SLIGC110 / 20 AH Cap 215 / 105 MIN @75 Amps. The sticker says 3/17 on them so they are 4 years old.

I am using a Power Wise 28115g04 for charging. Before the start of this golf season I individually charged each 12v set with a Schumacer 15amp 12v battery charger.

I live in Minnesota but keep my cart in a heated garage and regularly unplug and plug in the charger to keep the SOC high.

My cart struggled last year to make it 18 holes. At the beginning of this season I watered the batteries and they are now all full per the recommendations on this site.

I did a full charge yesterday and measured the pack today at 37.2. Only about 70% of capacity.

Are these batteries just not capable of holding the charge I need? Is there anything else I can do to try to get these batteries to last longer and hold more charge? In my mind I have properly maintained them but maybe not.

I dont want to buy new batteries so this is my last resort. Any solutions or ideas are appreciated.

Here is my post from a few years ago:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=140092
bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Issues

Try doing several back-to-back charges over the next couple of weeks to see if the batteries will take more charge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! Should I charge each battery pair with the auxiliary charger or use the main one I have back to back?
Old 04-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Use your main one so they charge together.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Use the 36v charger.

If the individual battery voltages aren't within about 0.1V of each other after a couple weeks of back-to-back charging, then hit the low ones separately.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
bearcat22
Not Yet Wild

Ok thank you so much.

How often should I keep re-charging? Like 2-3 times per day or every night unplug and plug? Just want to make sure I am doing this back to back charging correctly.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Let rest for 12 hours between charges (unless JohnnieB tells you different :)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Let rest for 12 hours between charges (unless JohnnieB tells you different :)
6 or 8 hour rest is enough. You want most of the surface charge to bleed off before initiating a new charge cycle, or the charging amps will be low.

Charge overnight as usual, start a new cycle the next morning whenever you get around to it and the again in the afternoon, then another overnight charge.

When I was doing back-to-back charges on the sick batteries that came with my cart, one of the first things I had done for the cart was install a dash mounted DVM battery meter and whenever I walked by the cart and it read 39V or less, I started a new charge cycle using a PW-II charger. sometime I'd get 4 charge cycles in per day, most days it was 3 and some days only 2.

I did that for about three week and went from charging to 85% up to 94%

I also tossed in an extra charge or two every day or so until I replace the batteries (went to 42V and higher capacity batteries) and was getting them to charge to 98% when I retired them.

---------------
BTW: Keep a close watch on the fluid levels. The batteries are going to gas like mad and use a lot of water.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO