lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
wrenflyer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 3PG Piston Rings - Install Question

I see you are in Jonesboro, spent some time up there setting up the Ryder Transportation shop a few years ago.
wrenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenflyer View Post
Sorry about that guys, I work on small engines for a living and I get stuck in the standard 4-cycle frame of mind.....Just trying to help.
Wrenflyer,

I appreciate your help. I've never done anything like this before and have done a lot of research and detailed help. like you have given, is hard to come by.

ruredy

I'll stuff a shop rag around the piston so I don't drop anything into the crankcase. I have a pair of clip pliers that do a good positive job of holding the clip.

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I see you are in Jonesboro, spent some time up there setting up the Ryder Transportation shop a few years ago.
You need to come back for a visit. We have quite a few more fast food, Mexican and Chinese restaurants.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
ruredy
Born Wild

it's real easy to just compress one ring at a time with your fingers and side the jug over it, the jug is made with a taped on the bottom to help do this. I guess it's hard to explain though. you should do it however you feel is best for you.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

RU is right ignore any thing before his last post. Line the rings up and (SLATHER SOAK) the jug and rings with oil to slide the jug on. You will need to squeeze the rings around from the back side of the piston from the pin and rock the jug as it slides on. If the jug has been bored you may need to sand a small leaf (taper) on the bottom of the jug.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
it's real easy to just compress one ring at a time with your fingers and side the jug over it, the jug is made with a taper on the bottom to help do this. I guess it's hard to explain though. you should do it however you feel is best for you.
Thanks ruredy.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

The jug that I got was made in India and there is no taper on it. I thought it would have been a good idea to have a taper to help with the installation but since EZGO doesn't supply a top end rebuild kit any longer, I guess we have to take what is available.

Clem
Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
RU is right ignore any thing before his last post. Line the rings up and (SLATHER SOAK) the jug and rings with oil to slide the jug on. You will need to squeeze the rings around from the back side of the piston from the pin and rock the jug as it slides on. If the jug has been bored you may need to sand a small leaf (taper) on the bottom of the jug.
DOOmsman,

What is a leaf taper?

I did put a little oil on everything, so now I will put a lot more.

Clem
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Duh,lead taper, do not be afraid to grind sand file the bottom of the the jug to get a little lead into the bore, just make it as smooth as you can so the rings slide in. A sanding disc on a dremil, a flapper wheel in your drill, you look around your shop and something will work.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Duh,lead taper, do not be afraid to grind sand file the bottom of the the jug to get a little lead into the bore, just make it as smooth as you can so the rings slide in. A sanding disc on a dremil, a flapper wheel in your drill, you look around your shop and something will work.
Got it, and all the tools that you mentioned.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workstead View Post
I have loaded the piston into the jug leaving the piston pin exposed. Lower onto the rod and install pin. Then assemble the jug to the crankcase.
Well I did it this way. Thanks for your help.

Thanks to ruredy and DOOmsman. Your help made it go pretty easily.

My cylinder actually did have a taper and with a lot of oil it went together very easily.

Not I have to torque the cylinder bolts and there isn't much room between the cylinder and block to get a torque wrench in there.

Clem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO