lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 3PG Piston Rings - Install Question

[quote=Originally Posted by wrenflyer View Post
I have loaded the piston into the jug leaving the piston pin exposed. Lower onto the rod and install pin. Then assemble the jug to the crankcase. [/quote]

Wrenflyer, I did it this way. Thanks for your help.

Thanks to ruredy and DOOmsman. Your help made it go pretty easily.

My cylinder actually did have a taper and with a lot of oil it went together very easily.

Now I have to torque the cylinder bolts and there isn't much room between the cylinder and block to get a torque wrench in there.

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Clem they make crow foot adapters

a set is not much money
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Clem they make crow foot adapters

a set is not much money
DOOmsman,

I went past Harbor Freight last night and turned around and went in. They have 3/8" SAE and Metric sets for $7.99 each.

Got one and will try to torque the cylinder bolts today, when I figure out the torque conversion for the crowfoot extension.

Clem
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
wrenflyer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workstead View Post
DOOmsman,

I went past Harbor Freight last night and turned around and went in. They have 3/8" SAE and Metric sets for $7.99 each.

Got one and will try to torque the cylinder bolts today, when I figure out the torque conversion for the crowfoot extension.

Clem
Here you go:

http://www.belknaptools.com/extcalc.asp
wrenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #25
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice calculator Wren, I printed the page and the sheet is in my formulas and data file for the shop.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #26
drc007
Not Yet Wild

well i went into the same dilemma last week. figured out what to do i used i believe the slang word for it is "plumbers tape" its a metal strip about a inch wide and it has holes in it. i wraped just enough around the old piston to let it take form "tight" and enough space to were i could grab the two ends of it with a pair of plyers once wrapped around the piston. this when squeezed allowed the piston to slide right in with a small pressure on the top of the piston........\\hope this helped and i hope it made sense.
drc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc007 View Post
well i went into the same dilemma last week. figured out what to do i used i believe the slang word for it is "plumbers tape" its a metal strip about a inch wide and it has holes in it. i wraped just enough around the old piston to let it take form "tight" and enough space to were i could grab the two ends of it with a pair of plyers once wrapped around the piston. this when squeezed allowed the piston to slide right in with a small pressure on the top of the piston........\\hope this helped and i hope it made sense.
Good going drc.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm now ready to drop the completed engine back into the cart but I'm doing some clean-up on it first. I need to change the gas line and the vacuum line to the fuel pump. There are some clamps holding the lines and the clamps are riveted to the frame. So I had to drill out the rivets so I could open the clamps to change out the hoses. I'm also going to clean up the gas tank and flush it out. It's about 18 years old so I can imagine what is in the bottom of the tank.

While reading your solution for the rings you gave me an idea to use the "plumbers tape" as a hold-down for one end of the muffler. The band that used to hold it down was missing on mine. Thanks for the dual use tip.

Clem
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #28
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenflyer View Post
Thanks wrenflier,

I used your calculator link and it worked out well. I actually couldn't use the crowfoot adapter on one of the cylinder hold down nuts so I "guestimated" the torque by comparing my hand held wench torque with the torque wrench tightened nuts. My stupid torque wrench starts reading at 50 pounds and most of the torque specs were below that. Go figure.

Clem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO