lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
shahoo80
Not Yet Wild

Default Mid 70's gasser project

Hello all, friend of mine had a 88 3 wheel parts cart, and I am thinking 75-77 Ezgo gasser that he bought last weekend thought about it and decided that it was too much of a project for him so I decided I would give it a try. The 70's 244 Robin motor stopped running so it was taken out and was going to be replaced with the 88 model. I got in all pieces so I am trying to figure all this out. The motor that stopped running was taken apart but all parts are there to use if needed.
I got the motor from 88 put all together, I took the carb off to look at it didnt know how long it sat around and cleaned. I glad I did it was pretty bad. Checked the compression and was good. Looked at the jug walls from what I could see anyway from the exhaust port and didnt see any thing that concerned me so I put all back together and installed in the cart. Now is the problems the wiring..... I downloaded the diagram from here and went to town. Almost all the wiring was labeled but for some reason there was a push button installed. I am thinking that maybe they used to start the motor? Also the switch fro the gas pedal was missing, so I working thru the wiring and there are 3 wires to the coil. The neg. side of the coil feeds condenser in the motor then 2 wires on the pos. side. Well from the numbering that labeled there was 2 on the neg. side the condenser and the switch so I moved according to the wiring diagram. I walked thru the wiring diagram and double checked most all was correct.

So here are my questions:
Would it be better to install the gas switch back in the wiring or leave out.
First I just want to make sure the motor is going to run before going and doing much of anything else. The only other major thing is the steering link from the steering box to the front end is broken. I am planning to make new with metal.
The only spare battery that I had was old lawn battery so I stuck it in and hooked up. The gas tank has to be cleaned and dumped as there is still bad fuel in there so I made a make shift can and used plumbing from the 88 to get fuel from just to start and run the motor.
So I turned the key,gear in nueteral and no smoke or fire, moved the gear to forward and motor started to turn over. I only let it turn over about 4 times and it was real slow. So you older gasser experts does it sound ok so far anything to look out for? Do you think that it was turning slow because of the battery I was using? Just want to be sure before really trying to make it try to run. Any help would be great. I guess after I get this going I will be having some good parts, complete motor,clutch,88 parts etc.
shahoo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
rvndave
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mid 70's gasser project

The push button switch might have been for a horn. I would want the orgnal gas switch.
rvndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
shahoo80
Not Yet Wild

Where would it mount excatly? Is it under the cart at the linkage then?
Thanks,
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
shahoo80
Not Yet Wild

Well got it all wired up and tried to start but it has no fire from the coil. I am going to change out the coil tomorrow to see if that helps. I also installed the gas pedal switch. Any suggestions to check for the no fire?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO