lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #11
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 8HP Briggs in G1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Getting the taper right would be my worry. I don't have a taper attachment for my lathe.
Do you have a compound slide on the lathe? Use the clutch bore to line up the compound slide, then make the cut.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm not an expert with the lathe, but yes do have a compound slide. Not sure how to set it up using the clutch bore to make the cut and get adapter.

Any help is appreciated as I'm always willing to try just about anything.

The lathe I use is a Jet 920.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Remove the outer sheave from the clutch, then chuck the clutch shaft into the lathe with the taper toward the toolpost. Adjust the compound slide so it follows the back side angle of the taper. The angle is now set, do not adjust the compound slide any more.

Remove the clutch from the lathe.

Using a 30mm or greater piece of stock, drill a hole in the center, large enough to use a boring tool. Then open the center hole up to 1".

Now that the center is bored, use the compound slide to cut the angle on the outside diameter.

Cut the piece off to a length that will work for your clutch.

Using a hacksaw, cut a slit along the length of the adapter.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Marathon, thing is if I do it using the clutch the taper will be inside so nothing too follow.

And even if I had the taper to follow chucked into the lathe, the compound slide is fixed so it won't follow the taper.

I may be thinking wrong or I'm missing something.

I'll do some searching on line to see about cutting a taper too.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Marathon, thing is if I do it using the clutch the taper will be inside so nothing too follow.

And even if I had the taper to follow chucked into the lathe, the compound slide is fixed so it won't follow the taper.

I may be thinking wrong or I'm missing something.

I'll do some searching on line to see about cutting a taper too.
Set it on the back side of the taper. The part toward the back of the lathe. If you have a compound slide, you should be able to pivot it to any angle you need. When you cut the taper, use the compound slide handle. It will take several passes. After each pass turn the crossfeed in about .010"-.030", whatever your lathe will handle.

When you drill/bore the center hole, use the carriage feed.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Here is how you would set the compound for the taper angle using the clutch.
The angle of the compound in the pic is off slightly, but you get the idea.

Here is how you would cut the angle on the adapter piece.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, I did get it figured out as far as cutting the taper once I have the angle. But how can I get the taper angle from the clutch when it is an inside taper on the clutch?

Cutting the taper is easy from what I just searched and found.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #18
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Without running the lathe, you will run the cutting tool inside the clutch and adjust the compound slide so it matches the inside taper angle.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #19
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, got it. Thanks.

Now I can make my own taper adapter. Which I'd rather do anyway. I enjoy making things myself.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #20
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

While the cart is running/starting much better it doesn't have near the power I need. I think the tires I put on it are part of the reason. I also have quite a hill coming up to the house from the pond and this thing will barely pull it, even with just me on the cart.

So, I guess I'll get started on setting the cart up with the 8hp. I just hope that it has a bit better low end torque and speed than the 2 stroke stocker. I just want something to use while working on the BB cart I want to eventually build using the Generac engine. Of course, it will also give me a chance too do some fab work and learn what will work and how to build it so I can make the mods to the Generac cart as I build it.

Still need to find a rear end so that I can still have reverse on this cart when I go with the 8hp.

Thanks again Marathon. You've been a great help in getting the clutch work figured out.

I'll start a new thread when I get started on this project so I can document it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha