lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Primary Clutch Problems

Hello-

My original Yamaha clutch wore through, and I bought this clutch:

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-264...as-g2-g22.aspx

And now one year later it is sticking, hitching and burning up belts. Is this just a bad clutch? I am looking at the performance clutch from cpp. looks much better. Please give me any thoughts. ty
andcon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Primary Clutch Problems

Did you repair the rear clutch when you replaced the front one? The comet clutches are not bad at all.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

yes. The secondary clutch has the new sheive and bushings. The clutch I mentioned above, has always been very rattley on take off. I took the dust shield off and it was full of clutch dust and smelled very bad of burning clutch. Was working fine for beginning of this season. Then Started acting funny and blew a belt. Put on my spare belt and started to shred that. The belt gets very hot after a short ride. Bought a new sever duty belt and that one still hitches and gets warm. I notice that the HP clutch on cpp looks different then the one I have. Is it a better clutch?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Can you remove the cover and post some pics?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #5
andcon83
Getting Wild
Yamaha

There is the dust shield that had three screws and the comes right of. But there is another piece that covers everything under it I can't get off
Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by andcon83 View Post
There is the dust shield that had three screws and the comes right of. But there is another piece that covers everything under it I can't get off
It comes off (pain in the a, or try my method- DONT!), has some spring tension behind.it. I had a comet that was stuck on engine, started and ran it without clutch bolt in. You better believe that inside ramp piece came off, Very violently, wont try that crap again. Some of those weights never were found!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Cg you leave the bolt out a turn when you do that, and be very careful best to keep the seat down and keep checking the bolt or duct tape it. Assuming your seat has a metal guard and you are in a safe place/etc. The taper will let loose and cart will stop right away with no power.

OP sounds like the pucks are toast in it, you can buy new ones. Old design but tested tough since the 60s if its a comet. With my 94C you need iirc a 1/2-20 fine thread bolt (or 9/16; something like that) that goes in the end after you remove the bolt that holds to engine. You put that in and tap it with a hammer the cover is sitting there on a taper (more like a slip fit its not locked on like the whole clutch is to the crank) and will come off. The puller is just a rod that goes behind that bolt. You may have to remove it to get the cover off I don't know. The cover will spring off when it comes loose but not that hard a stock ezgo spring for low rpm I can compress with my hands. A sled spring you might not lol.

There are two 94c one has a ribbed cover one not. The one without can slide the pucks on the cover and wear them out they are black plastic/phenolic sort of stuff. IIRC the smooth cover (looks like a smooth bowl, ribbed has ribs center to edge) works smoother. They take different pucks also.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I have since learned to leave the bolt in almost all the way.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #9
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

The cpp clutch is also a comet, dont go by the posted pictures. My be a different model comet than what you previously purchased.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have since learned to leave the bolt in almost all the way.
I learned that back when I worked on sleds a lot. If you didn't have a puller you turn it out a little and putt around the yard until it came loose. Though a sled has a metal guard on the clutches/belt because they run 8K rpm. Most of them hit 4K just to move around the yard lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha