lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 AM   #21
georgia088
Gone Wild

Hello all its been a while since I've worked with my saw mill, but quick update. I decided not to rebuild the g1 motor and bought a harbor freight 13hp instead. I still use the clutches off of the golf cart and the rear end/axle. It's worked out pretty well. I've cut quite a few boards I've used over the last 8 months.

My question. I would like to use the axle out of the backside of the sawmill.
I'll try and explain: Only one side of the cart wheels turn because I have the hub on the other side welded so that it will not turn. So the "passenger side of the cart doesn't do anything except serve as a frame. Can you take the axle out of one side and the other axle still work correctly on the other side of a g1?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Converting g1 cart to sawmill any help

Yes, it will still work without the axle. It it were me, I'd pull the differential apart and weld the gears in the axle for your use. But the rear end will work without the axle in it.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #23
georgia088
Gone Wild

With my setup. I don't think I could get to the differential inside of the rear end. If I just pulled the axle out, would that allow the back side to turn when the front side is under strain?

I hope that made sense. I will try and post a pic so maybe you can see what I'm trying to do...

Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #24
georgia088
Gone Wild

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453998434.243171.jpg

Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Since the drive wheel is under load it should work. To make sure you could cut your weld loose so the brake hub can turn and see if it still works. If it does then you should be good.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #26
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I meant to mention that I like your band saw and a cheap alternative too the expensive pre-built ones.

how is it on consistency of thickness when cutting lumber? Where do you get your blades and what do they cost?

I've thought about building one of these myself. I have most of the parts I need to do so. I'll have to take another look at your build to see how to make adjustments to the blade tension and a few other things. It would be nice to be able to cut materials off my own place to build new kitchen cabinets for the wife. I have most the other tools to do the job, just expensive to buy the lumber and I have so many nice oak trees on my place.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
georgia088
Gone Wild

Well, the reason I welded the hub was because it was turning when the other side was under a load. So I think I would have to do something to keep the backside of the mill from turning if I take the axle out.
And I don't know if I can get to the differential...
As for the mill... It works ok. If I built another. I would do things different now that I have done it.
The frame must be very strong and made out of heavy gauge metal. Because you need lots of tension on the blade. Mine cuts really cut with a good sharp blade. My problem is I didn't realize how much tension it would need.
So, my frame and something in the axle/wheel bearing flexes and turns the tires inward when I tension the blade as tight as they need to be. This causes the blades to run forward off of the tires.

Like I said I can cut great for a short period. But then the blade dulls because I can't get it tight enough.

I have bought my blades from woodmizer but I just found a local place that sells them.
Overall I am happy with it. But mine still needs some improving. I want to take the axle out to help with it flexing.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you were to weld the spider gears, it will cut your blade speed in half, compared to the current "other axle welded stationary" configuration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #29
georgia088
Gone Wild

So if I took the axle out of the back side what would be the best way to keep the blade speed and stop the other side from turning?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #30
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Your current configuration is pretty much the only way you are going to keep your current blade speed without increasing engine speed (unless you devise some other way to keep the spider gear only on the unused side of the axle from spinning). I also want to add, that the current configuration may cause the spider gears to wear more quickly, they werent really intended to be transferring All power & speed to only one side All the time. If you could live with half blade speed, i would just weld the spiders and use it that way.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha