lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
FloGrown
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 Gas Marathon not starting

I recently wired up my marathon according to the wiring diagram but it will not start. When I turn the key, all I get is a clicking noise coming from the voltage regulator. Should I replace this part? I've checked all my grounds and connections and everything seems fine. The ignition system is all stock, would it matter to upgrade to the HEI? I appreciate any responses as I am still learning about carts.
FloGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Gas Marathon not starting

The clicking sound is coming from your solenoid. Verify that you have a good battery that has been load tested. If that's good to go, then lets look at the solenoid as possibly being faulty or possibly a bad ground.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM   #3
dcotton4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I turn the key on in my carts I don't hear anything. The solenoid shouldn't click until you push on the pedal
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
FloGrown
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm positive it's the regulator clicking, I can feel it when i turn the key and the accelerator pedal is engaged. The battery is brand new so I doubt that is the problem. I took a wire wheel to all grounding points and got them down to bare metal. I went around all the connections with a meter and got good voltage throughout the system. I'm also not getting the reverse buzzer to sound, not sure if thats a sign of something somewhere else.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
FloGrown
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Finally traced the problem to my cart not starting. It turns out someone before me installed part of the f/r switch upside down so it was never making correct contacts. Now I'm on to another problem. First the engine will turn over without depressing the accelerator pedal as soon as i switch it to either forward or reverse. I was under the impression that the accelerator pedal had to be engaged in order for the motor to turn over. Second, the keyed ignition plays no part as I have unplugged it and it still tries to turn over. Anyone else have these kinds of issue?
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Ok good that you got it to this point. There is a micro switch under the floor board for the pedal. When the pedal is pressed, it closes and sends current to the solenoid and energizes the rest of the ignition system. If it is stuck closed it will do what you describe.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
FloGrown
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are you talking about the accelerator micro switch? If so it seems to be working properly. I let it sit for a day and when i went to start it, it all worked as it should but now all the earlier symptoms are back.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Ok, then I would go back through the wiring and double check that the circuits are connected properly. It sounds like the pedal switch is going bad or a crappy wire in that leg.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO