lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
robert30robert
Not Yet Wild

Default 1978 ezgo 244cc running problem

Hello, My name is Robert. I have a 1978 ezgo. I just rebuilt the motor. It has new every thing. piston, rings, jug, crank, bearings, seals, flywheel ETC.. You get the idea. It has been sitting for a few years before I got it. Anyways it started up just fine. I test drove it and it did great. But it stalled and would not start back up. So I check everything out. The only thing I found was it had no spark. So I put a new plug in it. And it started righted back up. I drove it maybe 50 feet and it staled again. And again no spark. I don't think it is fouling the plug out because I have to choke it to get it started. I was thinking the coil might be going bad It has a round style. It looks like an old style ford round just a little smaller. Or maybe the igniter. What do you guys think. Any help would be great.
robert30robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1978 ezgo 244cc running problem

Did you change the fuel pump, and is the plug wet?

Yours should have points, and a condenser. Those are always suspect when there is no spark.

Since you rebuilt the engine, we are also obligated to ask....... Did you put the piston in with the square hole towards the intake, and the rings with the bevel side up?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #3
robert30robert
Not Yet Wild

The fuel pump is working just fine it was rebuilt. The plug is dry. It does have points and a condenser. When I had it apart I checked the points looked great. As far as the piston and rings go. Yes they were put in right. I double checked when I put them In. It seems like when I let it sit. The spark comes back. Now isn't that a sign that the coil is going out. It over heats quits working. Cools down starts working again. Then again the igniter could be going out.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I think you are right about the overheating ignition system. I was just thinking that it should take more than 50 feet to warm up enough to break down.

A condenser will also break down like the coil will. Do you have to choke it every time you start it?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I pulled these values from an 85 manual with a solid state ignition. I am not 100% sure that your ignition coil would have the same values. It's worth a shot.

Check it cold, and then run until it quits to check again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition coil .jpg (137.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
robert30robert
Not Yet Wild

Yes most of the time I do have to choke it to get it started. And I will check to see what the values of the coil are. I have another ? I have another golf cart it is a 1987 ezgo it has a 224cc robins motor in it. I just rebuilt that one too. It runs great. But It has more pep in reverse. In forward it is kind of doggy. What would cause that.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Either dragging brakes or mis-timed ignition. Brakes should be self-evident, trying to roll by hand. Timing plate could be allowing more advance in R than F.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
robert30robert
Not Yet Wild

The brakes are just fine. They work great. How do you adjust the time. With out removing the flywheel. That flywheel is a bugger to get off. there are no holes in the flywheel. This cart doesn't have points. So can you explain how to do it. From start to finish. I would really appreciate it.

Now the other cart I have. Before it quits. When you hit the gas. that thing all most spins the tires. That's how much pep it has. I would like to get the other cart running that good.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sadly, you have to remove the flywheel. There are about a hundred threads on here, and links to the service manual. One:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...on-timing.html
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I beg to differ. Here is a link to an answer I posted a while ago. I enclosed the three pages from the 1978 manual. Start half way down the first page for points adjustment and timing is on the third page.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...pg-points.html

Good luck
Dave

EDIT I just re read your post and you are talking about two different carts, one with points and the other without. The points cart can be adjusted through an inspection plate. There is no such plate on the 1981 and later cart. Sorry for my confusion. For what it is worth the 2PG engine seems to be very tolerant of timing errors and my experience is that as long as it is somewhere in the ballpark of 20 degrees BTDC it will work.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO