lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO no reverse

I am a newbie with golf carts and need a little help.

I have 98 EZGO TXT. The forward / reverse switch is down next to your legs on this cart.

No problems going forward.

When you move the switch to reverse all the way over... There is no backup alert and no reverse.

If you move the FR handle REAL slow and not all the way you can make the reverse tone alert come on but still no reverse...the cart does not go forward or reverse when the tone is on at this point.. If you continue moving the switch another half inch or so all the way to the right, the tone stops and no reverse....if you hit the pedal it actually goes forward.

I have had the cart for about 3 weeks and noticed the reverse was working most of the time but sometimes this issue would happen. Now it will not reverse at all.

I am not real sure about all this...but the FR switch I think is right behind the lever on this cart. It appears like it has what looks like a round bell covering the actual switch with 2 micro buttons that get depress with you move the FR handle.. It did not look like any of the switches I was looking at on YouTube for EZGO.

Is there anything I can do to test?

Do these things usually mean its a switch problem or controller problem?

Any help given is much appreciated.

Skip
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: EZGO no reverse

Welcome to BGW

You have a DCS drive system. most of the time when this happens the controller is going bad. You can test the two micro switches and make sure they are good. And make sure they are operating properly. Make sure the arms are not bent on the micro's. But it sounds like a bad controller
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed Forward in both directions means the control has failed. Look at Alltrax alternatives like DCX or XCT controls.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there some way a newbie can test the micro switches?

If it is a controller, what is typically cost for something like that? Is that a DIY type thing?

Skip
Old 12-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The micro switches are simple 2 wire on/off switches. They open and close mechanically.
You can test function with a voltmeter if you first verify 36v in on the supply side of the switch, then mechanically trigger the switch, and test for 36v on the output side.
With the multi-meter set to continuity or ohms you can disconnect both sides of the switch and connect it to the meter. The meter will show the connection making and breaking. If not check meter settings and test a different switch. Once you are certain your test method is correct retest the switch in question.

Many cart owners DIY when it comes to electronic upgrades. This website is dedicated to the DIYer who wants to save $ or simply enjoy the satisfaction of making repairs & improvements to the golf cart.
Carts Unlimited Supplies all the components you need at competitive prices with online tech support.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

On my EZGO dcs I have forward, but no reverse...

I took my multi meter and tested my EZGO dcs reverse microswitch.
On the reverse switch, I got no reading with the meter. I then checked the forward and got a reading.

I am thinking it must be the reverse switch....

I am a newbie, anything else I should check or just go ahead and order the reverse microswitch part? They look to be about a $30 part.

Also, I was looking at the actual switch... How do these switches come off? I did not see any screw holding them on...

Thanks

Skip
Old 12-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Before you buy a switch - are you sure you get power in but no power out of the reverse micro? If the control sends no power in - you won't get any readings
Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After looking at this FR switch on my EZGO DCS...

If I shift the lever into reverse...I still get no backup tone or reverse. If I push the microswitch further in with my finger...the backup tone comes on and I can reverse.

It's either the microswitch or the round bell looking part that is worn too much to push the switch all the way in when you turn the FR lever.

Anyone know what that part is called?

Trying to find it on the internet.

Thx

Skip
Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is there a small trigger arm on the switch that you can carefully bend out to make more contact with the rotating disc? THis may be one of those FREE repairs we all love so much
Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I will try bending the arms on the microswitch.

I went ahead and ordered a new reverse microswitch for my EZGO dcs.

Still trying to figure out how the microswitch attaches to the metal plate. I don't see any screws around them, unless there is something on the back side of the metal plate.

Can anyone help with how these microswitchs attach on the EZGO dcs?

Thx

Skip
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO