lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Castaway1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Help with wiring a harley 3 wire ignition

After reading about replacing a stock ignition with a Harley barrel key I found JWade79 and Sergio and hoped it may help me. However, my EZGO- TXT is not keyed through the FNR. My key/ignition has a White/Yellow (which is also piggybacked to the state of charge) and a white wire. I also have aftermarket lights which were installed prior to my ownership and I'd like to integrate it into the switch. Will the new switch handle the load like the factory ignition? If so, then with the four wires I have how do they match up to the three wire harley ignition?

After reading their posts, I figured it may be better to install an EZGO unique ignition, but hoped some of you may be able to clear up what I can't see.

Oh, BTW I've been lurking for sometime after getting my first cart and its been my winter project, taking my wife spot in the garage. So yes, I'm a newbie, and am very thankful to all of you for the great advice and posts.
Castaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Help with wiring a harley 3 wire ignition

basically you can't control an electric carts lights through the key switch without a converter
Old 01-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
crash test dummy

how you can wire it

note: red/black and red/white may be reversed for run/lights
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Castaway1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the welcome and, it's a 2005 TXT PDS 36 volts. I have a 36v to 12v 30 amp converter (has the R/B/Y/G wires) and will be running the lights through it and then fuse block/buss bar. I've seen other posts with the wiring from the converter and was going to just keep standard ignition and operate from a "switch panel" I've installed, until I saw the unique key option. It's the three wires off the switch that get me. Like I said before I have the white/yellow lead (which is the switched power), the solid white (which I believe is constant) then the two from the lights. I see the ezgo keyed switch with lights has 4 blades which I believe will fill the bill (after of course the converter) but I'd like to buy the harley style switch if I can wire it properly.

Probably irrelevant, but I feel I should also mention that the lights were originally wired to two of the batteries and then two lines run to the dash to a toggle switch.

I plan on running yellow converter wire to ignition switch to shut converter and switch panel off at key.

Hope I explained what I wish to do.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
crash test dummy

ok ... my Harley key switch will work

solid white lead to red

white/yellow lead to red/black
the yellow can go ether to the red/white for switched lights
or
like you said to the red/black for on with the cart and a toggle switch for just the lights
Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Castaway1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks crash test, should be here Wednesday and I hope to install before weekend. In the home stretch of the make over.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Castaway1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
ok ... my Harley key switch will work

solid white lead to red

white/yellow lead to red/black
the yellow can go ether to the red/white for switched lights
or
like you said to the red/black for on with the cart and a toggle switch for just the lights
Crash, although the internet is a great resource but can cause more issues. I have the harley style key switch. I understand your install for wires, but I've seen issues about the overloading of the ignition switch and talk of relays. I will have on the "on" or "accessory position" the cart power white/yellow, a red from state of charge and yellow from the reducer. Is this too much and how would you recommend joining the three wires to the one switch wire?

I'll also add, I just got the 30A converter a 6 fuse and buss bar panel, wired up as per instructions and posts here. I also installed (4) lighted marine rocker switches, Leds, dome lights, a marine radio and there are aftermarket head and tail lights (all 4 I planned on using the installed rocker switches)

Just thought I'd restate this is my first build and its coming along great and before I tie it all in and replace the cowl I just want to be sure there won't be any electrical issues.
Thanks again
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
Castaway1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Crash, if you happen to see this disregard it. I've worked out my questions and found a solution.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Tags
harley barrel ignition
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO