lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
julieames
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT PDS always in reverse

I have a 2007 TXT PDS cart that believes it is in reverse mode regardless of the F/R switch position. I have replaced the rocker switch already. If I switch to forward, the reverse buzzer sounds. If I press the pedal in forward, the solenoid clicks, but the cart goes in reverse. Same action if I put the switch in the reverse position.

I have a little over 38 volts on the batteries. I performed the diagnostics with the reverse switch routine (performed several times) and got zero beeps.

Cart was working fine until I took it out in the snow. It was HIGHLY overworked trying to plow through deep snow. Batteries crapped out on the road and my neighbor towed the cart back to the house (turned on Tow switch for this operation). Recharged batteries to good voltage, now the cart's insistence that it wants to be in reverse mode no matter what.

I really want to try to fix this myself as a matter of pride, but am no way well versed here. I thought about opening the wiring harness to try to find out if the forward/orange wire got toasted somehow, but I am leary about jumping into that.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
julieames is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: TXT PDS always in reverse

I recently had this issue BUT on a 99 TXT. It was the controller. Same thing, reverse was the only way it would go regardless of direction switch position. I would get that checked out first....
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the voltages at the controller plugs.

J1 Pin-2 (orange wire) is Reverse and should have battery pack voltage on it when F/R is in R and 0V when in F.

J1 Pin-3 (green wire) is Forward and should have battery pack voltage on it when F/R is in F and 0V when in R.

Also check for crosstalk between the two pins.

If the voltages for F and R at the controller are correct, the controller is likely bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, the control wiring might have gotten wet while playing in the snow.

Dry it off with a hairdryer.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sorry to say but - stock controller + heavy load + low batteries = controller failure 99% of the time

When the battery voltage runs low the motor draws additional amperage which creates excess heat and that kills controller components.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Try reversing the black and white wire going to the motor from the top of controller.
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
julieames
Not Yet Wild

I will check voltage as suggested. I don't know enough to comprehend how to check for "crosstalk".
Old 01-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
julieames
Not Yet Wild

Where exactly would I be drying off the wiring with a hair dryer? It looks to me like the three wires from the F/R switch go directly into a wiring harness then travel to the controller. It all looks dry when I poke around underneath. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
Try reversing the black and white wire going to the motor from the top of controller.
Not sure that will help as it was working before the heavy load in snow, from what I read....that does work when you mix them up putting in a new controller....LOL
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieames View Post
I will check voltage as suggested. I don't know enough to comprehend how to check for "crosstalk".
There should be either full pack voltage (IE: 38.2V) or Zero volts on Pins 2 and 3, but if the is something above Zero when that pin is not selected by the F/R switch, you have cross-talk.

Hairdryer on the connectors that plug into the controller, but they are under a cover, so they probably didn't get damp.

I agree with scottyb that chances are very high that the controller is toast.

If the controller is bad, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400PDS (or larger) and the cart will do about 24 MPH at 36V on 18" tires. However, if that is too fast. you can program the XCT to limit the speed to anything below that.

-----------
Also, if you need to use cart while waiting for a controller, swap the positions of the F1 & F1 cables like sonnysmith suggested and it'll go forward all the time instead of backwards all the time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO