lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Reducer vs Acc Battery help

I have a EZGO DCS with new battery pack.

I need to decide on solution for my front and rear lights.

I do not want to hook them directly to 2 batteries on the pack... That is not a solution to me.

I may add some other led lights in the future, but have no plans for radio or anything like that...just basic lights to get me home in my neighborhood if after dark.

I currently have a switch for my lights that is next to your legs, next to F/R on DCS.

If I go the reducer direction, it will be the Scottyb reducer package.

Questions with this would be:

1) the switch next to your legs that i have installed now for my lights, would this switch still be used on the 12V side of the reducer to turn on and off the lights?

2) i think I understand that red and black from your 36v pack feed the reducer. Scottyb has on diagram a yellow wire to your key switch... I am thinking this turns off power to the converter. Does this have to be wired all the way back to the key switch on the dashboard? Really don't want to mess with the dashboard.

Now for the 12 volt accessory battery option:

1) running basic lights, would a powersport battery, trolling motor battery, or lawn and garden battery, motorcycle battery work? I have read on the forum all three of these being considered or using them. The lights will be used so infrequently, I don't need over kill on this.

2) with these battery options, I just don't have any real guess as to how long the lights would work on a charge. If they would only last an hour on a charge, I would be leaning more to the reducer. If I can get a couple or few days of intermittent lighting use before charging, the battery option is more appealing.

The battery option seems more simple to setup as the reducer really confuses me in how it all would be setup....I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff.

I know with the battery option, you have to charge it separately, but I thought I might add a solar panel like I seen others suggest on this forum....sun is bright in Texas.

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Reducer vs Acc Battery help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
I have a EZGO DCS with new battery pack.

I need to decide on solution for my front and rear lights.

I do not want to hook them directly to 2 batteries on the pack... That is not a solution to me.

I may add some other led lights in the future, but have no plans for radio or anything like that...just basic lights to get me home in my neighborhood if after dark.

I currently have a switch for my lights that is next to your legs, next to F/R on DCS.

If I go the reducer direction, it will be the Scottyb reducer package.

Questions with this would be:

1) the switch next to your legs that i have installed now for my lights, would this switch still be used on the 12V side of the reducer to turn on and off the lights?
yes
2) i think I understand that red and black from your 36v pack feed the reducer. Scottyb has on diagram a yellow wire to your key switch... I am thinking this turns off power to the converter. Does this have to be wired all the way back to the key switch on the dashboard? Really don't want to mess with the dashboard.
no ... you can tap into it at the yellow/white wire that goes to the solenoid
Now for the 12 volt accessory battery option:

1) running basic lights, would a powersport battery, trolling motor battery, or lawn and garden battery, motorcycle battery work? I have read on the forum all three of these being considered or using them. The lights will be used so infrequently, I don't need over kill on this.
any 12v battery will do
2) with these battery options, I just don't have any real guess as to how long the lights would work on a charge. If they would only last an hour on a charge, I would be leaning more to the reducer. If I can get a couple or few days of intermittent lighting use before charging, the battery option is more appealing.

The battery option seems more simple to setup as the reducer really confuses me in how it all would be setup....I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff.

I know with the battery option, you have to charge it separately, but I thought I might add a solar panel like I seen others suggest on this forum....sun is bright in Texas.
i like solar ... us it on my own cart
Skip

Old 01-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you tap the yellow/white wire that goes to the selinoid...how would you actually do this?

Can you just put a ring terminal on the yellow wire on the Reducer and then put it on the selinoid post with the yellow/white wire?

Or do you cut the wire and before the selinoid and wire nut it together?

I guess what I am asking is what would be the best way to make that connection?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
crash test dummy

ring connector on yellow wire from reducer
NEVER use wire nuts, they are for household use only
Old 01-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just want to clarifying and more questions:

1) I would add a ring terminal onto the yellow wire and then run that wire to the selinoid post where the yellow/white wire is on the post?

2) I think I also read somewhere that you could wire the yellow wire from the Reducer along with the reducer red wire back to battery #1 on the positive? Not sure if this is correct and it would sound like the Reducer would never power down?

3) according to Scottyb diagram, it shows a switch coming off the fuse box, this switch is on the 12 Volt side to turn on and off the lights...does anyone have information on where the wire actually connects to the fuse box? Any diagrams of that fuse box. I have never connected one before.

4) I have a 36v txt, does anyone have any photos on where they placed the Reducer, fuse box, and the bus bar terminal? I guess you would get some self tapping screws and drill though the bottom plate in the battery well?

As you may can tell from all my questions, I try to understand everything I am doing before jumping right in.

Thank for all the help...

Skip

Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:

1) I would add a ring terminal onto the yellow wire and then run that wire to the selinoid post where the yellow/white wire is on the post?
yes
2) I think I also read somewhere that you could wire the yellow wire from the Reducer along with the reducer red wire back to battery #1 on the positive? Not sure if this is correct and it would sound like the Reducer would never power down?
correct, it would stay on all the time
3) according to Scottyb diagram, it shows a switch coming off the fuse box, this switch is on the 12 Volt side to turn on and off the lights...does anyone have information on where the wire actually connects to the fuse box? Any diagrams of that fuse box. I have never connected one before.
see below
4) I have a 36v txt, does anyone have any photos on where they placed the Reducer, fuse box, and the bus bar terminal? I guess you would get some self tapping screws and drill though the bottom plate in the battery well?
see below
As you may can tell from all my questions, I try to understand everything I am doing before jumping right in.

Skip

txt reducer wiring

reducer and fuse block on a 97 ezgo txt

Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
WPI_91
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Skip. Let me start with the disclaimer, I'm pretty technically competent, but not an expert on Carts. I'm sure one of the vetrans will call BS if I steer you wrong. I'll try to fully explain any suggestions.

Quote:

Based on the DCS schematic, the Yellow/White wire on the Solenoid comes directly from the key. Using a ring connector to attach to this terminal is electrically the same as connecting to the key switch.

You can wire directly to the battery, but then your reducer would alway be on, not just when the key is on.

3) according to Scottyb diagram, it shows a switch coming off the fuse box, this switch is on the 12 Volt side to turn on and off the lights...does anyone have information on where the wire actually connects to the fuse.
It is a good idea to add a fuse to your accessories. If you will have several accessories, you can add the fuse block shown in ScottyB's schematic. If you only have a couple accessories, you can install a fuse inline with each switch. It is OK to have the fuse before the switch or after the switch in the wire to the lights.

No photos, but you can mount a + and - bus in a pretty small area. Whereever you have space, near the converter would be convenient.

Glad to help out, hope it make sense. Go ahead and PM if you want more detail.

Skip

Doough, I spent too much time proof reading and Crashtestdummy got in a reply ahead of me...
WPI_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPI_91 View Post

Doough, I spent too much time proof reading and Crashtestdummy got in a reply ahead of me...
Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #9
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

First of all thanks so much for the replies, it really helps and even if some of the same answers are posted. Sometimes having it worded different helps to fill in information gaps to newbie like myself.

When i do this 12 Volt accessories project, I am going to clean up the previous owners wiring mess...

The cart has all 6 ground wires from the lights to a wire nut in the battery box and then one wire out of the wire nut that was connected to battery minus.

What is the best solution to tie these together?

Same thing was done with the positive side.

If wire nuts are not good to use, what is the best solution for joining several wires together?

Thx

Skip

Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #10
crash test dummy

negative side use a ground bus

positive side use a fuse box

use Closed End Connectors instead of wire nuts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO