lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default got a question.

I bought number 2 welding cables along with new batteries 2 years ago, maybe. Everything stayed neat and corrosion free for a long while. Now it is out of control. Any cable that touched a battery terminal is destroyed to green goo. So i replaced the battery cables, the second set didnt make it but a few months. Are my batteries messed up? It seems like acid is always on top of the batteries now. That started when it started eating cables. Ive sprayed acid neutralizer on them, cleaned them frequently. Im at a loss. How often should i need new cables?
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: got a question.

Older batteries can gas more under charge than newer batteries and this can lead to additional corrosion...... however, starting fresh with neutralized battery tops, clean cable ends & good housekeeping can go a long way to warding off the green goo.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
crash test dummy

also keep the battery water levels at a proper level

Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

The fact that the batteries GAS.....puts the atmosphere under the seat susceptible to corrosion to the gas there......one thing that will help with your situation would be to LIFT UP THE SEAT anytime you are charging the batteries. that allows the gas to escape and less likely to start the corrosion process.

I have a 4' long bungee cord (when extended) and keep it connected to the seat handles, any time I go to charger the batteries, I left up the seat, and the bungee goes around the steering column. works like a champ.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

After neutralizing and rinsing everything thoroughly, gently buff with soft wire brush until the cable lugs and battery terminals are bright metal and apply a thin coat of NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL Electrical Grade" before installing cables on battery terminals and then coat all the exposed metal surfaces after the cables are connected.

This is the OEM site: http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-co...lubricant.html

I buy it from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/OX-A-Special-Conductive-Grease-Antenna/dp/B00HSW341A http://www.amazon.com/OX-A-Special-Conductive-Grease-Antenna/dp/B00HSW341A

It also comes in smaller containers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks for the info. I already bungie my seat up so my cats wont use it as a scratching post.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO