lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Golf cart Speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
My design is just as good as a tach as it is as a speedometer but I figured that speed and distance is more useful to me than a tach. I can always program it to do either or both. With an electric cart and a single speed gearbox, I don't see much use for a tach though.
With my tiny tires, it's easy to exceed the max recommended motor RPM, so I was planning to trigger the shift light at 6500RPM to give me a heads-up.

The XCT (which has user programmable RPM limiting) came out before I got the tach installed and when I installed a XCT, I eliminated the primary need for the tach.

I use the GPS from my car when I want to measure distance traveled or top speed and I could simply get a GPS for the cart, but it just clips into a bracket and sits in plain sight, so it is easy to steal and I don't always remember to disconnect it and take it with us when we go into a restaurant or store.

Like a bicycle speedometer, the tach can be bolted on and is less likely to walk away when left unattended.

Since the XCT also uses the motor speed sensor output, I'll probably have to build a buffer to isolate its input from the tach input and I'm getting lazy in my old age, so I'm looking at GPS based bicycle speedometers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I used an optical coupler - no buffer to connect to the speed sensor. Works fine. Keeps the circuits isolated.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I used an optical coupler - no buffer to connect to the speed sensor. Works fine. Keeps the circuits isolated.
I'm old school, anything that reduces one circuit's influence from another is a buffer.

Optical is the way to go for pulse trains.

I've also kicking around the idea of tossing in a divide-by-n counter to reduce the PPS from the sensor, which would effectively increase the height of my tires and reduce the intrinsic error due to only being able to input whole numbers for the tire dimension used for calibration of bicycle speedometers.

However, I'm lazy, so I'll probably just get a bare bones GPS for the cart and super-glue it in place.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you want to use a bike speedometer, a divide counter is a good way to get in range of the standard wheel size programming. Normal bike speedometers only get one pulse per rev and normal bikes have large wheels. The other problem with most standard bike speedometers is that they use radio sensors that sense the magnet directly so it's hard to hook anything like a speed sensor up to them. I'm sure you can figure something out though.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO