lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 engine ground

I've been having intermittent electrical trouble with my G1 for over a year now. I think I get it fixed, it runs for a while and then all of the sudden I've got no fire. Same problem every time. I think I've traced all the ignition wiring and haven't found a short so I'm convinced I've got a floating ground. I know there's a ground at the solenoids and the sending unit is grounded but is there one on the engine block I'm missing? I've checked the wiring diagram but I can't decipher where one might be. Thanks in advance!
cdcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G1 engine ground

Ttt. I could really use some help locating and identifying any and all grounds that could be the source of my lack of spark. My muffler and gas pedal shock me ... It's got to be a bad ground I just can't find it!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This should help you out.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-diagram.html
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Cvans, I appreciate the attempt but I've got a gasser and I have seen the wiring diagram for it on other posts. The diagram does a great job of telling me which parts of the harness terminate in a ground but a lousy job off showing where that ground is supposed to be physically located on the cart.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Soxman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Don't know if this will help but I just tore the whole wiring harness out of my G1 and the only direct wire to ground in the wiring harness was located behind the battery under a bolt that went thru the plastic rear fender wall into the frame. Terrible way to ground the cart thru a piece of plastic. If the bolt head is dirty it might affect your ground .
Soxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sox, I'll check that. I put my motor and body on a donor frame about 6 years ago but I used the donors harness so I never noticed that ground. I'll clean it up tomorrow and hopefully, with a few other tweaks I've got in mind, I can have it running again.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Soxman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is a pic I took before I disassembled my cart. The wire comes out of the main harness. The connection on mine was all corroded. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.8 KB, 0 views)
Soxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

Sox, I've got no ground there and no evidence of a ring terminal or anything. Where does that ground exit the harness? I don't see a loose wire or a ground anywhere in the area. Did you happen to notice where it was coming from? Solenoid side or ignition side?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

have you tried testing the coil when its not firing they are known to work when cold and as soon as they get warmed up they stop working?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
cdcoates
Not Yet Wild

I have tested the coil and was getting inconsistent fire until tonight. Tonight I had no fire but I did find that the entire cart put off 12v when I stepped in the gas ... the frame, the muffler, the block, my metal spark plug cap, everything! I've made a jumper ground wire but I get no response no matter where I ground. I ran out light outside before I could troubleshoot too much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha