lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
B-RAD G
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo pds with alltrax dcx 400 controller with reverse problem

I have a 98 ezgo pds cart with a alltrax dcx 400 controller that was put in the first part of last year. It recently started having a problem with the cart in reverse. The cart works fine in forward but when in reverse the coil will not pick up and I'm getting a low voltage alarm on the controller. I have checked the voltage on pins 6,7,9 and 10 and it is good with the key on and the switch in reverse. When the peddle is pressed with the switch in reverse i am getting full voltage (b-) on the blue wire side of the solinoid but I am losing b+ voltage on the yellow wire side of the solinoid (38.5v down to 15v). I am not having this problem with the switch in forward. I am stumped and could use some assistance. Thanks in advance.
B-RAD G is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Ezgo pds with alltrax dcx 400 controller with reverse problem

Sounds like a controller failure.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD G View Post
I have a 98 ezgo pds cart with a alltrax dcx 400 controller that was put in the first part of last year. It recently started having a problem with the cart in reverse. The cart works fine in forward but when in reverse the coil will not pick up and I'm getting a low voltage alarm on the controller. I have checked the voltage on pins 6,7,9 and 10 and it is good with the key on and the switch in reverse. When the peddle is pressed with the switch in reverse i am getting full voltage (b-) on the blue wire side of the solinoid but I am losing b+ voltage on the yellow wire side of the solinoid (38.5v down to 15v). I am not having this problem with the switch in forward. I am stumped and could use some assistance. Thanks in advance.
A 1998 would be a DCS cart, the PDS wasn't introduced until model year 2000.

You later mentioned Yellow and Blue wires on the solenoid coil, which does sound like a PDS.

Is there an adapter assembly between the cart's wiring harness and the plug on the DCX controller?

Once we know what it is we can troubleshoot it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
B-RAD G
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I may be wrong with the year but it is a PDS cart.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There is excessive resistance someplace between the B+ input to the F/R switch and the B+ output to the keyswitch (J1 Pin-9 on cart's wiring harness)

Could be the R contacts in the F/R switch.
Or the diode between J1 Pin-2 and J1 Pin-9.
Or dirty contacts between J1 in the cart harness and PDS to DCX adapter.
Or the connecting wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - In Reverse - Pin-6 traced.jpg (328.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
B-RAD G
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have checked all connections and everything checks good. I have checked all the diodes and they check good. When the switch is in run, switch in reverse and key switch on and when the peddle is pressed I am getting full voltage on the - side of solenoid. On the + side I am getting around 15v. The reason I am getting only a + 15v is because I am getting a -23 v on the positive side. Like I said everything works fine in forward. Do you think the controller is doing that or something else. The controller is only a little over 1 years old.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In a PDS cart with a DCX installed, the controller puts B- on the blue wire to the solenoid coil when the pedal switch closes and tells the controller to do so.

Unlike a stock PDS, the B+ on the yellow wire to the solenoid coil is supplied via switches and wiring.

The B+ to the solenoid coil follows a slightly different path in Forward than it does in Reverse.

The solenoid clicks in Forward, but doesn't click in Reverse.

Therefore the probability of the problem being in the slightly different path the voltage takes in reverse, is somewhere in the neighborhood of 99.999%.

The slightly different path is highlighted in Purple on the attached schematic.
(Note: I just added the purple lines to a schematic that showed the B+ path to the solenoid coil while in Forward, and the red lines for the forward path through the F/R switch and adapter still exist. I left them there to illustrate the slight difference.)

------------
The most likely suspect is the F/R switch Reverse contacts. Access the backside of the F/R switch and swap the Orange and Green wires. If the cart now run in reverse, but not forward, replace the F/R switch.

If it is not the F/R switch, the next most likely suspect is the PDS to DCX adapter. Jumper J1 Pin-2 to J1 Pin-9 and the cart should run in reverse, but only in reverse no matter what is selected at the F/R switch.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD G View Post
I have checked all connections and everything checks good. I have checked all the diodes and they check good. When the switch is in run, switch in reverse and key switch on and when the peddle is pressed I am getting full voltage on the - side of solenoid. On the + side I am getting around 15v. The reason I am getting only a + 15v is because I am getting a -23 v on the positive side. Like I said everything works fine in forward. Do you think the controller is doing that or something else. The controller is only a little over 1 years old.
How exactly are you measuring a voltage on the small terminal with the blue wire on it? Specifically, where is the voltmeter's black test lead connected?

With the black test lead attached to the main negative terminal on the battery pack (where it ought to be unless specifically stated to place it elsewhere), with the key on and a direction selected, you should measure full battery pack voltage (+38.2V less on diode drop) on both small terminals of the solenoid. Pack voltage is measured on the blue wire due to it feeding through the coil. When the pedal is press the controller connects blue wire to B-, the voltage drops on the blue wire to Zero and the solenoid energizes.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
B-RAD G
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I figured out the problem. I think it was in the fwd/rev switch. Only time will tell. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO