lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Ray-T
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 Ezgo 36V Series electric won't go

1999 Ezgo 36V Series electric, in either Forward or Reverse the solenoid clicks but the cart won't go

I have 38.52V on the Bat+ side of the solenoid. With the key switched On and in Forward I get 36.89V on the Controller side of solenoid.

Disconnected Controller side of solenoid and the resistor, key switched On, Forward and step on accelerator until it clicks gives me 38.31V on Secondary side of solenoid

I believe this indicates the solenoid is good, correct? What should I check next?

TIA

-Ray
Ray-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Ezgo 36V Series electric won't go

Welcome to BGW Ray-T
Which controller is on the cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Ray-T
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not sure. It's a black box about a foot long. Here's a photo of it…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

See if there is power to pin #1 when the solenoid clicks.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After checking what Scotty said......

Clip your DVM + probe to the B+ on the controller and the DVM - probe to the B- on the controller
Key on, Cart in gear, Back wheels off the ground, push the accelerator and record the voltage (should be full pack voltage)

Next, move the DVM - to the M- on the controller.
Key on, Cart in gear, Back wheels off the ground, Push the accelerator and record the voltage (Should be full pack voltage)

If both of those are correct and the cart is still not running, look closely at the contacts on the F and R cam. you are looking for any signs that the board has melted.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Ray-T
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just had a very "interesting" development. I reconnected the resistor and controller to the slenoid to measure the voltages at the controller, and noticed the wheels would now spin. So I took it off the jacks to see if it'd still move under load. It hesitated but allowed me to back out of he garage. I put it in forward to return the garage and when I started to accelerate heard a loud bang under the seat. One of the batteries blew its caps off!

This was the same battery which had read a little lower than the rest, 6.19V as opposed to 6.32-6.34V for the others.

The batteries are almost 3 years old and now obviously need to be replaced. Once replaced, is there a risk of them being damaged by something else still being amiss?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What type of batteries are they? did you have to add water to them when you got the cart? Trojans, US battery and Crown will typically last 4-5 years even with mild abuse to them. Heavy abuse or some of the lesser brands of batteries will result in shorter lifespans.......

All that being said, it sounds like the pack may need replacement, hopefully solving the entire problem.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
What type of batteries are they? did you have to add water to them when you got the cart? Trojans, US battery and Crown will typically last 4-5 years even with mild abuse to them. Heavy abuse or some of the lesser brands of batteries will result in shorter lifespans.......

All that being said, it sounds like the pack may need replacement, hopefully solving the entire problem.
Welcome back Kotter. Nice to somebody knowledgeable doing the heavy lifting. Wabbit.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Ray-T
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Interstate batteries from Costco. I've been pretty good about watering them every month or so. Water level has always remained above the plates.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like you have a bad battery that caused your problems.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO