lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default TXT PDS Loses Power then recovers

Forgive a newbie if this has been beat to death. Tried searching but didn't find what I needed.
I have a 2003 TXT PDS 36v lifted. Today I was using it to drag my driveway with a fairly light drag and in about 10 minutes the cart slowed and stopped. I let is sit about 5 minutes and I was able to get another few minutes on it. The cables weren't really that hot. The controller (or that area) was warm but not burning hot. Connections look clean. I can run around my farm under no big load without an issue. I am sure batteries are on the way out. They are like 7 years old I think I figured out.
Will a bad battery do this? If so what happens? Does a battery drain fast and then the others will equalize it?
Or is it something else? I intended to get new batteries in the spring as I don't have much riding time left in Michigan this year.
Thanks.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT PDS Loses Power then recovers

PDS controller going into thermal shutdown. Typical of PDS system. I reduced the frequency of this happening by putting a four inch 12 volt fan on top of controller. I mounted fan between the fender and top of controller with fan blowing down. Installed two small self tapping screws part the way in fender and lay fan on these screws and the controller heat sink. Used RTV on top of controller to hold in place. It don't completely solve problem but it helps. Safety feature to prevent controller from burning up. There is probably nothing wrong with cart. You just working it to hard. Designed for golf course.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I'm not at my cart right now but trying to picture this. Is the fan mounted inside the cover? Like you say dragging the drive does cause a pretty steady load on things. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pulling a drag requires slow speed with the cart under load. This causes the motor to draw excessive amperage continually resulting is over heating both the motor and controller. In my experience, continued use in this manner will result in the failure of one or both.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm not at my cart right now but trying to picture this. Is the fan mounted inside the cover? Like you say dragging the drive does cause a pretty steady load on things. I'll give it a try.
I mounted the fan between the top of the controller and the rear fender. The goal is to move a little air in the small space between the controller fins (AKA heat sinks) and the rear fender area. I used two self tapping screws in the inside of the fender a leaving enough of the screw protruding to lay the fan on top of the controller and these two screws facing air flow down. Once in place secure with RTV silicon rubber between fan housing and controller. Not a complete cure but will help prevent thermal shutdown. EDIT: The outside fan dimensions I used was 3X3X1 inches not four as mentioned earlier.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to both of you. Guess I will my tractor from now on. Is the controller cover really needed? Is the controller not water/dust proof? Seems like it removed would allow better circulation.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
Thanks to both of you. Guess I will my tractor from now on. Is the controller cover really needed? Is the controller not water/dust proof? Seems like it removed would allow better circulation.
The less you remove the better off. Be aware of the limits of your cart. Stock PDF carts are not designed to do much farm work. Removing cover might cause more problems. Controller is not water proof. You wont need to worry about thermal shutdown in a few weeks.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, soon I will need to worry about it freezing over here!
Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO