lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #1
ryanpue
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2012 Yamaha Drive Gas Cart Cold Weather Issues

I have a 2012 Yamaha Drive that up until a couple of months ago worked great. As soon as we started getting cold mornings here in Texas it wouldn't start. I could never get the engine to engage. I sent it in to the shop and they said it is just the cold weather, gave it a tune up, and replaced a spark plug and said hopefully it works. Still continued huffing and puffing through the cold weather and then 1 night it stopped in my driveway. I came back to it the next morning and it still wouldn't go. turned it off and could still hear the belts turning. opened the seat and sure enough the belts were still turning with the power off and the brakes set. back to the shop it went. They kept it a couple of days and replaced a switch and said this should do it. Still having issues. I will mess with it and let it get good and heated up in the parking lot of my office before heading home. It will start off fine then quit on me. I have to pull over and start the whole process again messing with the gas, choking it, and then after several minutes it will get going again. Happens every time. Never had an issue until the cold weather. I know this is not how it is supposed to run. I had a rental from the shop for a few days while they worked on mine, it was gas as well. On our coldest morning so far 1 pull on the choke and it took off! The rental was an EZGO but it shouldn't matter! Suggestions?
ryanpue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2012 Yamaha Drive Gas Cart Cold Weather Issues

Find a shop that fixes golf carts. Shouldn't be that hard.

Your Yamaha should start like the EZGO. They just have to look at the correct thing. carburetor, fuel, whatever...
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Maybe an air (vacuum) leak? A little carb spray around the outside of the carb, spacer & mounting gaskets may help find your culprit. The cold weather in Texas is a poor excuse from that shop. I have found Yami's to be a little more "cold blooded" than some others, but still routinely run them here in below zero(f) conditions. Golf cart donuts in the snow anyone?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I very rarely need to touch the choke on any yamaha unless the weather is really cold (to me "really cold" is freezing & below). I just press the pedal to the floor for about 3 seconds while engine is cranking, then let the pedal up almost all the way & they fire right up
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I very rarely need to touch the choke on any yamaha unless the weather is really cold (to me "really cold" is freezing & below). I just press the pedal to the floor for about 3 seconds while engine is cranking, then let the pedal up almost all the way & they fire right up

Agreed
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I always richen the idle mix, but some new engines don't have them. Then I pump the gas 0-25% about while starting and they start quick in warm temps. Now I put a CV on my clone and the enricher only works at idle so learning to not step on the gas, then forget this one is a pumper so I can pump it before I try to start it. In warm weather it fires up no problem so I keep forgetting how it works in cold temps when I run it less.

Also note most yamaha stock engines will get angry if you have an intake leak or the airbox is not completely sealed! If you modify anything you have to change jetting. Even a warped plastic airbox cover can cause problems. My stock setup I put bungee cords over the G9 box to hold it tight, and not let dirt in of course. Even the rubber pulls didn't always want to keep it sealed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, yamaha drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha