lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: more 2 cycle problems

I've always liked using my fingers on the 2 stroke because of the pin and ring placement. much easier to tell if it's right. A ring compressor is just one more thing you don't need mucking up the works when assembling them.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Goat53
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
On most every 2 stroke i've worked on, the piston has a pin in the groove that holds the rings in place. If you dont have the ring in the right place you will break it or it will be hard as snot to get in the cylinder and it'll never run right. Not sure if this is you problem but I did that on the very first 2 stroke I rebuilt back in the 70s. a lesson I will never forget.

Found the pins right off , getting the rings on right , but the ends keep popping out into the cut out in the jug ,they are just too close to the edge , double checked the piston and it stamped std on top
Never found any 'top ' mark on any of the 5 sets of rings , or any mark at all . placed each ring into the cyl and had .006 to .008 ring gap , made sure the 'holes ' in the piston were /are on the carb side , just don't know what else to do but keep on keeping on .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Goat do you have the piston you took out? Maybe you have the wrong one? stab in the dark.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat53 View Post
Found the pins right off , getting the rings on right , but the ends keep popping out into the cut out in the jug ,they are just too close to the edge , double checked the piston and it stamped std on top
Never found any 'top ' mark on any of the 5 sets of rings , or any mark at all . placed each ring into the cyl and had .006 to .008 ring gap , made sure the 'holes ' in the piston were /are on the carb side , just don't know what else to do but keep on keeping on .
what cut out in the jug?? can we see a picture
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Goat53
Gone Wild

The bottom edge of the jug has 2 long and 2 shorter aeras the shorter area's line up with the piston pin , I seem to always slightly rotate the jug as it goes down and the end of the top ring pops out into this shortened aera . then it either bends or breaks the ring . the reason it pops out there is my seeming inability to NOT rotate the jug as it goes down , I will get the hang of it sooner or later . I have someone coming over Next Sat that has built several of them before and we will probably work it out then ,
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat53 View Post
The bottom edge of the jug has 2 long and 2 shorter aeras the shorter area's line up with the piston pin , I seem to always slightly rotate the jug as it goes down and the end of the top ring pops out into this shortened aera . then it either bends or breaks the ring . the reason it pops out there is my seeming inability to NOT rotate the jug as it goes down , I will get the hang of it sooner or later . I have someone coming over Next Sat that has built several of them before and we will probably work it out then ,
i have seen some guys install the piston in the jug and then slide the two on the rod and push the wrist pin in, but pack a rag in the block so if the clip slips it won't drop in the block.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Are you sure you have the piston on properly and not 180 degrees off? If that is good then insert the piston into the jug until the rings just go in, then rotate the crank and move both piston and jug down to the crankcase and studs, then you should be able to rotate the crank through the stroke without twisting the jug. With this much trouble I'm thinking piston is backwards.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
todwil
TOD WILD

I'm with crash on this!!!! also hone the cylinder with a ball hone
to knock down sharp edges of the ports OR you can use a small
file Ive seen rings catch on these!!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Only other thing I could add. I used to slightly, ever so slightly file the edges of the ring edge were they come together. Just to barely take the squareness off. I used to have to do this when the transfer ports were so close....... maybe ???
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
DEWDIGGLER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the taper on the ring is down.
make sure the slots on the piston are very clean (use a broken ring)
try lubing up the inside of the jug with some oil (that always seems to help)
DEWDIGGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO