lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Sun Classic G5

Bought a used 1994 Sun Classic G5. Gas 4stroke.
Had had no issues until now. Saturday the Cart ran great for 18 holes. Went in the club house and ate. Went back out and it would not do anything. Battery is good. Press the gas and nothing. No clicking. Pushed it back to the shed. Went out the next morning with a trailer to pick it up and it worked.

Today went out and golfed 9. At first it would not work. I shifted from forward to reverse and it started in reverse. Back to forward and it worked. Later nothing in either forward or reverse. Went back and forth and finally started.

I am sure it is just a switch or solenoid. But which one? Gas pedal switch? Solenoid? In the engine compartment? Or something the the shifter?

Hate to just start throwing expensive parts at it.

Any help would be great!
Chrisnwmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Sun Classic G5

With a volt meter...negative probe lead on negative battery post, positive probe lead on small red activating wire on solenoid, key on/ in neutral or jacked up, push the accelerator pedal. You should only have 12 volt when the pedal pushed. Do the test and let us know what you find,
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

12.5 right now and everything is working. I will try again when not work. If 12.5 and not working then it is the solenoid? If not working and not 12.5 the pedal switch?

Am I thinking correct?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Now it is not working. Less than 1 volt now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnwmsu View Post
12.5 right now and everything is working. I will try again when not work. If 12.5 and not working then it is the solenoid? If not working and not 12.5 the pedal switch?

Am I thinking correct?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Now do that test at the peddle switch if you have 12v to peddle but nothing coming out it's the issued
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Correct, now do the test at the stop switch, it can go bad or intermittent (it has opened and closed since 1994!), but... on G5's, the stop switch wire goes into the voltage regulator, then to the solenoid to complete the solenoid "energizing" circuit. Most likely, stop switch or voltage regulator problem, not the solenoid.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Also if you search on here the sun classic voltage regulator isn't made but someone has a diagram to convert to the normal four post regulator
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like a dirty connection some where. take em apart 1 by 1 & spray with wd40. check all the grounds also.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Now I can't get it to stop working again. I went ahead and ordered the stop switch. It was $50. If that does now solve it I will look into the regulator next.

QUOTE=smallblock450sl;1401867]Correct, now do the test at the stop switch, it can go bad or intermittent (it has opened and closed since 1994!), but... on G5's, the stop switch wire goes into the voltage regulator, then to the solenoid to complete the solenoid "energizing" circuit. Most likely, stop switch or voltage regulator problem, not the solenoid.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Chrisnwmsu
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It would not start tonight. It has power to the stop switch. Switch has been ordered. Hope that is the fix.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha