lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #1
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Steering Adjustment

I've been reading up on how to address slack in the steering box, and while I understand how adjusting the screw will help with L-R play, I don't get how anything I read fixes the worm shaft from threading in and out of the gear. When I turn the wheel it moves up and down in the tube until it runs out of slack. Is there an adjusting nut or shim on the bottom of the worm shaft to take up axial slack?

I'm prepared to step out in faith by adjusting the screw on the cover and packing completely full with grease. But if there is another adjustment or part replacement needed then I want to fix it once, and correctly.

FYI there is also a little wobble in the pitman shaft bushing/bearing so will change that, too.

Thanks,
Chilly
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G16 Steering Adjustment

There are bearings along the steering shaft, above and blow the worm. Open it up and you'll see what I mean. I've rebuilt a couple of those now & was surprised by how worn out / torn up those bearings got. Spending their life turning slow speeds and packed in grease you wouldn't think they would see much wear, but they do.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

And, rebuild is your only option, the parts are gone. No more new steering boxes left at Yamaha.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Well then I guess it's the right time to fix it once, and correctly. Thanks for the advice. I'll prepare for a full rebuild.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #5
Scratchit
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Well then I guess it's the right time to fix it once, and correctly. Thanks for the advice. I'll prepare for a full rebuild.
Hey Chilly, I know this is an old thread but did you ever rebuild that steering shaft? Just interested in exactly what that entails. My G16 has the same worn out part and they're still impossible to find.
Scratchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
BlazinGrizz
Not Yet Wild

I'm in the same boat as Scratchit. My G16 is in dire need of some steering assistance and this may be the remedy.
BlazinGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
SteveCSC
Not Yet Wild

I know this sounds like it doesn't work but... unless your box is beyond hopeless - jack up the front - wheels off the ground, loosen the locknut, tighten the screw a little at a time and move the wheel lock to lock. when it is too tight - it will bind up - don't force it, back the screw out so you get no bind.

That took care of over .5" of up and down travel and a huge dead band on mine. While you are at it, this is the time to open up and completely pack the box with good quality (marine) grease - keeps the wear as low as possible going forward.

(This is in other threads, I'm just repeating the process and adding my experience)
SteveCSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha