lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Low end shake under load

When climbing a small hill like a drive way or taking off full throttle it seems like the cart has a shutter or a shake to it.. kinda like a bad brush or a stuck brush.. but everything checks out and all the suspension is tight along with bearings

1989 club car ds, All new batteries (brute force 6v2000) new f/r switch, new cables between batteries(0g aircraft mill spec) new charge wires from port to batteries, pulled motor (D&D 170-004-0002a) apart and checked everything it looked fine, cleaned all connections and it still has a shake..

Since i have done the cables it inst as bad but when the batteries get a little bit of time on them its more noticeable..

need ideas here .. im gonna be replacing the other 7 large cables with the same aircraft cable i have between the batteries and see what happens

any ideas would be helpful, im gonna be getting a new solenoid soon and possibly a controller if i have to but from what i gathered i have a high amp one on already

Thanks again !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180503-151923_Gallery.jpg (186.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180430_181647.jpg (209.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180424_225933.jpg (201.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180424_225942.jpg (201.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180501_200718_924.jpg (210.7 KB, 0 views)
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Low end shake under load

Shuddering under load is almost always a sign of low voltage in a series cart. Those batteries don't quite have the performance rating of their "gold standard" counterparts (Trojans). New or not - batteries can fail unexpectedly. Hook a digital voltmeter to each battery (one-at-a-time) after you have driven a couple miles. Then, go find a hill and drive up. I suspect at least one battery will dive in voltage - and you will have found your culprit.

Your statement
Quote:
when the batteries get a little bit of time on them its more noticeable
suggests that is the issue.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Your statement suggests that is the issue.

Ill check it out.. i just bought the batteries like a week ago and they are all april of 2018 but i will load test them.. do you think maybe because i am running 36vs on a 48 volt motor will matter? i would just think i wont get the full potential out of it.. also i know the controller is good for both 36/48
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
because i am running 36vs on a 48 volt motor will matter
NOW THERE'S A PIECE OF INFORMATION THAT MATTERS! In a word - yes! I'm not a series motor expert, but that could be your only issue because the motor is so severely de-tuned at 36v (I'm thinking about the weak field coil more so than the armature).
Old 05-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

yah everything looked good in the motor..i have only had the cart a few weeks and ive been going after anything i can think of without having to buy more batteries .. this is my first cart by the way and my buddy who i got it from has had it for the past 15 years and sat for the last 5.. when i was a kid i would see him run this thing through the sand no problems and now im trying to mimic him and its not cutting it lol .. so i guess ill stuff a 12v in series one of these days and see if it comes alive.. but until then ill keep replacing wires and little things till its all new haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180429_204041.jpg (206.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180429_204036.jpg (215.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
stuff a 12v
uhmmmm...you are new. You will imbalance that pack and be dumping volts back and forth in the pack rather than achieve what you want. Think about your batteries like a chain (AKA weakest link etc). The chain must carry the load equally. If your budgeting, buy two more of those batteries and jam-'em'-in or carry two in the bag well. Charge those two separately with a 12v charger. You'll get longer duration on the whole pack and smooth delivery of voltage.

Again, I'm not an expert - but I'm old and semi-wise.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

yes im very new at this lol i do classic cars and atvs this is a new recent hobby

ill be damned.. well guess ill spend another 120 for 2 batteries and do that.. and you say with a 12v charger i can charge the 2 separate.... so i would hook them in series by themselves and hook positive to furthest and negative to furthest then i presume ?

guess that means ill have to unhook them every time i have to charge them correct unless i get a 48v charger and change the charge port?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

You shouldn't have to unhook - make a big series loop - with your 36v charger terminating at the 36v point (6 batteries) - and the last two batteries at the end with their own 12v charger plug & wires. Draw it on paper - you'll see what I mean. Neither charger will "see" the other.

And golf carts are never grounded to the frame - it would be dangerous. So other than connecting to your drive system - the batteries are "floating" (probably not the right term, but you get the drift). There will be no accidental welding.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

well considering im no electrician i can not see what you mean .. i understand the concept in what you say and it will stop charging at 36vs but i cant picture how it would be wired.. and i know nothing is grounded to the frame i guess i worded it incorrectly
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You might as well go ahead and get a 48 volt charger and a 48 volt solenoid and get the 2 new batteries before they get thrown any further out of balance with the "old" ones.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car