lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
brett92
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Charging question - new batteries

I've read on here that it's recommended to charge your batteries after each use. I guess my question is if this is still true even if you're not running down the batteries very much?

For example, my voltage is at 51.2-51.4 fully charged and after 3-5 miles of riding (our typical usage) it only goes down to 50.5 if that. I mean I've had times where I plugged it back in and voltage was showing as 51.

Should we let it discharge a little more before plugging it in again?

Also, I'm only about 10 charge cycles into my new batteries. Does that affect anything? I've read the battery break-in thread but it mainly addresses not over discharging them.

Thanks in advance.
brett92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Charging question - new batteries

With deep cycle lead acid batteries you need to keep a full charge all the time to get the best life from the pack and keep all of the batteries balanced. Even if you only drive it 5 minutes, plug it in after you get back for the day.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
KACinPA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am going to piggy-back on this question, because I often wonder.

We use the cart for very little mileage in a day at camp. 9:00 am, about a mile drive downhill to the pool, noonish a mile drive uphill to the RV, repeat trips between 4:00 and 7:00pm, maybe a couple miles ride at night with the lights on.

Is it better to charge it each time we return the the RV, Noonish & 7:00pm then again when back overnight, even though the total distance for each trip is 2 miles? Or, is it better to just charge it overnight? I will say most of my neighbors unplug from their chargers Friday afternoon and don't plug back in until just before they go home for the week Sunday evening.
KACinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Cynikal.Mindset
Not Yet Wild

I plug mine in every night at the park no matter how far or how much its used that day...I don't plug it in after each trip as my wife would probably have a fit if she wanted to take it and have to go through the process of unplugging and flipping the tow switch every time
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Not sure why she has to flip the Run/Tow switch, as it should remain in Run at all times unless it is a safety concern (kids jumping on it) or you are working on the electrical system....With it in Run you have power there and you have the Roll-Away Brake protection....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KACinPA View Post
-snip-
Is it better to charge it each time we return the the RV, Noonish & 7:00pm then again when back overnight, even though the total distance for each trip is 2 miles? Or, is it better to just charge it overnight? I will say most of my neighbors unplug from their chargers Friday afternoon and don't plug back in until just before they go home for the week Sunday evening.
Shame on your neighbors as that is the WORST thing you can do to Flooded Lead Acid batteries!

For the healthiest pack and the longest life, you should always use the P&P practice. If you Park it, Plug it in. If it is Parked, it is Plugged, Park & Plug, etc. etc. This assures a full pack, best performance, longest life, while minimizing depth of discharge and sulfation formation.

It is no secret here that I just retired my 10 year old (Yes, ten years old) set of US Batteries. They went from June of 2010 thru July of 2018 and would still hold 50.x volts up until the last 2 months.... This was accomplished through good battery maintenance and it was ALWAYS on the charger when I parked it. Whether I went 1 mile or 15 miles.

Here is a link http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post480598 click on the Battery Guide.pdf file and you can gain a lot of knowledge for battery health.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, I also plug mine in every night regardless of the day's use....in most cases its around 50.4 after a day of putzing around...`
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I always plug mine in if not riding.
The guy I bought my cart from only charged them on Friday nights and let his kid wear them out over the weekend. Then he left them uncharged all week til the next Friday night. This was on a weekend place. The brand new batteries lasted approximately 1 year.
It allowed me to buy a nice EZGO for 800 bucks, needed batteries.
I have had it since 2012. Just changed the batteries after 5 years. We haul *** every night!
I have been thru 2 sets of 14” car tires. Alltrax 48400 on 42v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
...snip...

It is no secret here that I just retired my 10 year old (Yes, ten years old) set of US Batteries. They went from June of 2010 thru July of 2018 and would still hold 50.x volts up until the last 2 months.... This was accomplished through good battery maintenance and it was ALWAYS on the charger when I parked it. Whether I went 1 mile or 15 miles.

...snip...

Well done Nole.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post

Well done Nole.
And that was with an OBC, Powerdrive charger, and a Battery Life Saver the last 4 years.

I see how you take care of yours too, Bruce. You will get a very long life out of yours....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car