lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
dickson23ou
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric vs Gas

I'm about to start a remodel on a 1992 Ezgo Marathon 36 volt electric cart.
This will be used for riding on the Texas coast and street also. Just want to know if I'm wasting my time rebuilding a electric cart or should I go with a gas one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
dickson23ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electric vs Gas

it truly depends on things like your daily mileage, and depending on the cart.....how fast do you want/need it to go for your use on the street. like the old speed shop sign says "Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go".
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the forum. If you are going to use electric convert the old Marathon to 48v. Don't be that guy who comes back and says I just put $600 in 6v batteries and need my cart to go faster. In electric voltage = speed and 48v is a significant increase over 36.
I have several 48v carts going near 30 mph with 20 mile range
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are advantages to both.

Gas has basically an unlimited range, but you have to deal with the ethanol gas and carb issues.

Electric has a limited range and takes overnight to recharge, but you press the pedal and it goes and is nearly silent.

With either method you can get the cart fast enough that you won't want to go any faster. For me, that was 30mph. Faster than that and my cart isn't fun to drive.

Also, which tech do you think you'll be comfortable with? You can learn either but if you are an electronics engineer you may want to go electric.

Electric will weigh more, so if that's a concern for you the 500-ish pounds of batteries may tip the scales... Gas is more noise and fumes.

Some golf courses have restrictions on gas carts. I really had no idea people used these carts for golf, but to each their own.

If you want something simple, reliable, no worries neighborhood cruiser, electric is easy. If you want something just this side of really stupid, you can do that with electric or gas too. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the same dance 13 years ago and ended up going with electric, some of my motor-head buddies of course asked why I didn't go gas. I like the instant on, quietness, mine also has good torque and speed. But I don't have to go very far, just many short trips in a pretty small area but up a large hill ( I had to tow one time when I let a friends son drive too long, the batteries were about due for replacement (though that set ended up lasting 8 years)). Figure about $100 each for batteries every 6,7,8 years or so. If you go electric, really need a covered storage where you can hang and plug in the charger. I also think too the technology is kind of cool, as all of the auto manufacturers are finding out. I'll probably have and maintain this cart for many years.
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

If you do decide to stick with that Marathon and don't mind spending a little money to get it where you need... I'd suggest converting to 48v Lithium instead of spending the money on more lead acid batteries. The price point isn't much different. Also, convert to a solid state drive system and add in a big controller and torque motor and you'll love that cart. You'll have the torque on demand an electric cart offers, faster speed by going to lithium due to less weight and higher voltages and nearly zero maintenance.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If you do decide to stick with that Marathon and don't mind spending a little money to get it where you need... I'd suggest converting to 48v Lithium instead of spending the money on more lead acid batteries.
NCPW is right, lithium is coming down in price and isn't much more than lead acid. You'll need more than the "48v lithium battery with BMS" you see on ebay, but it's certainly a doable option and will drop 400-ish pounds from your cart. If that interests you, check the lithium sub-forum.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

All in what you do with it. I have both, I like the gas for doing things around the property at home. I like the electrics for going around campgrounds. Also some RV Parks/campgrounds don't allow gas carts.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO