lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
tag0401
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EXGO TXT charging issue

I have a 2012 ezgo txt 48 volt. I recently let my batteries die and had to manually charge them to get the charger(powerwise qe) to cut on and charge. I charged overnight and checks today around 10 and the charger was still running, batteries were boiling and the pack read 52 volts. I unplugged and drove a few miles and the pack read 51.5 volts. Each battery alone read 8.5 volts. I personally do not think the charger should still be trying to charge but maybe I am wrong. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
tag0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EXGO TXT charging issue

I have the same year cart with same on board charger
Let the charger pluged in till it shuts off on it’s own.
The batteries will boil towards end of charge cycle.
What lights are lit on charger?
At full charge the bottom yellow and green light will be lit but no charge is going into batteries.

On my charger I can leave it pluged in,bottom yellow lights lit indicating full charge. But if batteries self discharge below 50 volts,charge will automatically turn on and start charging.
My experience with the powerwise qe charger😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
tag0401
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The more I read about the powerwise qe the more I am thinking it's junk. The light is blinking green, the chargers says solid green is 100%, I am pretty sure it is still charging but i am not sure why.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag0401 View Post
I have a 2012 ezgo txt 48 volt. I recently let my batteries die and had to manually charge them to get the charger(powerwise qe) to cut on and charge. I charged overnight and checks today around 10 and the charger was still running, batteries were boiling and the pack read 52 volts. I unplugged and drove a few miles and the pack read 51.5 volts. Each battery alone read 8.5 volts. I personally do not think the charger should still be trying to charge but maybe I am wrong. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
Put it back on charge right away, and let it run. It will charge until the pack voltage reaches a typical voltage of 60V +/- 1V.

Check electrolyte level and add distilled water to 1/4" to 3/8" above the plates on all cells. Do not overfill, liquid level rises while charging, especially while bubbling (it is not the same as boiling) towards the end. The bubbling is required to stir the electrolyte and eliminate stratification, for best battery life.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
tag0401
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Put it back on charge right away, and let it run. It will charge until the pack voltage reaches a typical voltage of 60V +/- 1V.

Check electrolyte level and add distilled water to 1/4" to 3/8" above the plates on all cells. Do not overfill, liquid level rises while charging, especially while bubbling (it is not the same as boiling) towards the end. The bubbling is required to stir the electrolyte and eliminate stratification, for best battery life.
Even though it charged all night and most of today except between 10 and 2 when i drove it around?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Even though it charged all night and most of today except between 10 and 2 when i drove it around?
You do want to recover your existing battery pack don't you?

When lead/acid batteries are allowed to discharge to more than 50% short term, or even less discharged long term, lead sulphate forms on the plates. Deeper discharge, to the point that the charger will not even start on its own, forms lead sulphate much much faster. Lead sulphate blocks active surface area. You are going to need to charge your battery pack, back to back, multiple times. That is if you want to have a chance to redissolve the lead sulphate while it is still soft. Once it crystallizes, it'll be too late to reverse, without having to either buy a quality desulphator, or buy new batteries. Sulphation manifests itself as reduced Amp/Hour capacity of the batteries in your pack. They hold less energy, and will deliver less energy to your carts motor. In other words, reduced run-time.

I know a lot about lead sulphate and desulphating, as I invented a lead/acid battery desulphator technology years ago that I licensed to a manufacturer.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
tag0401
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
You do want to recover your existing battery pack don't you?

When lead/acid batteries are allowed to discharge to more than 50% short term, or even less discharged long term, lead sulphate forms on the plates. Deeper discharge, to the point that the charger will not even start on its own, forms lead sulphate much much faster. Lead sulphate blocks active surface area. You are going to need to charge your battery pack, back to back, multiple times. That is if you want to have a chance to redissolve the lead sulphate while it is still soft. Once it crystallizes, it'll be too late to reverse, without having to either buy a quality desulphator, or buy new batteries. Sulphation manifests itself as reduced Amp/Hour capacity of the batteries in your pack. They hold less energy, and will deliver less energy to your carts motor. Inother words, reduced run-time.

I know a lot about lead sulphate and desulphating, as I invented a lead/acid battery desulphator technology years ago that I licensed to a manufacturer.
I have no idea what you are talking about but it’s convincing lol. I’ll plug her back in and see what happens. Forgive my ignorance on this issue.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about but it’s convincing lol. I’ll plug her back in and see what happens. Forgive my ignorance on this issue.
We can, but your batteries will not.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
tag0401
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
We can, but your batteries will not.
Hopefully they will this time. Usually pretty good at keeping it plugged in but for some reason it got parked in November and didn’t get looked at until Tuesday. Lesson learned let’s just hope it’s not a costly one!! Thanks for the help again all of you.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #10
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
I have the same year cart with same on board charger

Let the charger pluged in till it shuts off on it’s own.

The batteries will boil towards end of charge cycle.

What lights are lit on charger?

At full charge the bottom yellow and green light will be lit but no charge is going into batteries.

On my charger I can leave it pluged in,bottom yellow lights lit indicating full charge. But if batteries self discharge below 50 volts,charge will automatically turn on and start charging.

My experience with the powerwise qe charger[emoji4]

[emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO