lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries, now a dead short. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcineman View Post
I will get a picture on here as soon as I can. (not home right now) but I assure you it is wired exactly as it was before the swap. Engineer by trade so this is certainly in my skill set. One further piece of information that may help....if I put the tow/run selector switch in "tow" position, no spark and I could connect it. I'm hesitant to do this and then flip the switch for fear of destroying something like an expensive controller.
What year cart and which drive system. The Run/Tow switch tells me it a a sepex drive, but EZGO produced three different ones, depending on year.

Since you installed six 8V batteries, it could be a TXT-48 with a stock or aftermarket controller or a DCS or a PDS with a 48V battery pack and an aftermarket controller, however not sparking when last cable is connected while in Tow, point towards a TXT-48.

The spark is due to there being a large filter capacitor across each of the dozen or so MOSFETs and they draw a lot of amps when they charge up from zero volts. Each capacitor has a bleed resistor for safety and the charge is bled of in a few minutes when the battery pack is disconnected.

During normal operation, the caps are held at near the battery pack voltage to reduce arcing as the solenoid contacts bounce on closure.

If the controller is shot, replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-xxxx (or larger), the xxxx's being the proper suffix for the drive system you have.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Porcineman
Not Yet Wild

Well, I gave it a try...switch in tow mode, fire extinguisher handy, connected the cable, switched to run and EUREKA! it works. Thanks for the help guys. What a great resource this forum is!
Porcineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
Porcineman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the informative post JohnnieB
That all make sense now. I am not sure about the specifications for my cart but I told it is about a 2005 vintage. I believe you have deduced the correct drive system. It appears to be stock as well as the motor and transaxle. I have replaced the bearings and seals in the transaxle and installed undercarriage LED lighting but I have a long ways to go to catch up to your level!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #14
Porcineman
Not Yet Wild

Just read a Sticky note. It is a sepex drive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO